Plugin Contributions

Default Developing a blueprint css zen template

I just started to develop a barebones template that is based on the Blueprint CSS framework.

The basic structure is in place (currently hard coded with only a left and center column) and I will be making my way through the template files and replacing the stock zen markup with blueprint classes.

Here is the demo site that I set up.
    Keep in mind it is in very early development.
    developstronger.com/zendemo/

Once the template gets to the point where I feel it is nearing completion, I will package it up and distribute copies to those who want to help test it. I would love to get the feedback from other zen community members to make this a powerful base template.

You can read a little more about it here:
    developstronger.com/content/developing-barebones-zen-cart-template
    Last edited by Kim; 18 Nov 2009 at 11:27 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Developing a blueprint css zen template

I have been making progress on my template and put up 2 new articles discussing the overall framework and changes to the product info and product listing pages.

developstronger.com/content/anatomy-blueprint-css-template

developstronger.com/content/taming-zen-cart-product-listing-pages

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I would love to hear from anyone that may want to help test the template.
    Last edited by Kim; 18 Nov 2009 at 11:27 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Interesting, but I'm not sure why you'd go to this trouble. What you have so far could have been done manually in very short order.

What is the advantage to using this 'framework'?

Plugin Contributions

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Blueprint has some nifty features... one of which helps with browser compatibility for css. No more nonsense with MSIE and Firefox conflicts...

... am I correct?
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    Interesting, but I'm not sure why you'd go to this trouble. What you have so far could have been done manually in very short order.

What is the advantage to using this 'framework'?
    I'm not really going through a whole lot of trouble. What I have done was just basic manipulation of a few template files and uploading the blueprint files. How is this more work than the normal process of customizing a template.

Schoolboy has it right. The framework is supposed to eliminate many of the common cross browser issues that we all struggle with.

My goal is to create a template that can be easily used as a starting point for new sites without having to worry about ripping out tables and styles that I know I don't need.

Accomplishing all of these things up front will save me development and troubleshooting time on every project that I take on in the future. I have already used a variation of this template on 2 different sites and found it very easy to work with.

I thought it would be nice to contribute this template to the zen cart community and that with feedback I could make it even better.

Plugin Contributions

That's fine. I was asking, not criticizing. If this framework really eliminates all the cross-browser nonsense, I'll have to take a look at it myself.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    That's fine. I was asking, not criticizing. If this framework really eliminates all the cross-browser nonsense, I'll have to take a look at it myself.
    Sorry if I sounded defensive. There is a debate on CSS frameworks in general. Some people think they add a lot of unneeded bloat to sites and other people swear by them.

I am still in the early stages of truly adopting the framework for my designs and I'm hoping that some work up front will make my job easier down the road.

Your post did get me thinking about what the true benefits really are and after some more research I discovered another framework that looks very promising as well.
    yaml.de/en/

I started playing around with it and plan on developing 2 templates in parallel and ultimately choosing the one that is easier to work with.

My zen demo site now has the template switcher installed so the templates can quickly be switched.

Also for people trying to view the 2 last links I posted, I had a little mishap with my database and the latest articles were lost. I am working on getting them back up.