Plugin Contributions

Default Offline zen cart setup

I have created three zen cart websites and each time I built zen cart as a live domain. I now have a client that has asked me to build a simple zen cart site "offline" so not to conflict with their current site until it is completed. I am very familiar with installing zen cart but I'm not quite sure how I should do this? I'll be installing on a Linux server. I've done some research but I haven't found specifically this answer. The hosting company is already provided for and it seems to meet the min requirements. Should I install it as an add on domain (using a different domain i own) and then transfer it or is there an easier way? I would have preferred a zen cart certified hosting company that would be wonderful at assistance but it's not an option.

Thanks so much! Lynn

www.alpinehealfast.com
    www.greengardening101.com
    www.petherbalremedies.com

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Offline zen cart setup

You need XAMPP (or more correctly LAMPP). Check here http://www.apachefriends.org/en/index.html
    Andrew

Andrew Moore
    Omnicia Agile Development
    www.omnicia.com

Plugin Contributions

Thank you Andrew for responding so quickly. I did look XAMPP up and had reviewed it as an option however (I failed to mention) that the existing LINUX hosting company already has Apache, PHP, MySQL and a path to PERL. My apologies for seeming quite ignorant but I must be missing something? It looks like XAMPP would be doing exactly what already exists with the existing hosting company. Is there not a way to add Zen Cart as a sub domain and then move it... or somehow to work within the existing file manager? Much much appreciated, Lynn

Plugin Contributions

I just had another thought: could I build it under a different domain name (one that isn't being used of course) as an addon domain for the same hosting company and then reappoint the name servers and move all of the folders and files to the original domain name once I'm done "testing" it? Nothing like trying to reinvent the wheel, eh?

Plugin Contributions

So I hadn't thought of this way until my last post. I did some more research and found this https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=122 which is moving zen-cart from one directory to another. I believe this will work. Thank you to all who have read this and please feel free to correct me if I'M WRONG. Otherwise thanks for letting me be a sounding board! Lynn