Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: search not working

Thanks Tick. I am trying to follow your instructions very carefully and as you have suggested, I deleted the DSi product and add it again but the description this time will be more or less like a Nintendo product description. The product description last time was bla bla.
    Anyway, I have relisted the DSi product and also I listed some two books in books category and intentionally I have listed one book heading in all lowercase and the other book in Upper and lower case. You can see it in my webpage, http://www.fahimagu.com/shop
    As I have mentioned in an earlier post, when I searched for "The Sea of adventure", it says "There is no product that matches the search criteria" but if changed the search query to "adventure" which is infact a part of the product title I searched ealier and this time the search result brought up the correct product.

More search results
    Searched for "DS", the result is "There is no product that matches the search criteria"
    Searched for "Nintendo", the result is 1 product "nintendo DS lite"
    Searched for "intendo" which is a part common to both Nintendo products, the result is 2 products "nintendo DS lite" and "Nintendo DSi"

Once again thanks for the help being given.

Plugin Contributions

Weird. Do you have any languages installed other than English? Are all the products of the "Product - General" product type?

Plugin Contributions

Thanks,
    Its a fresh copy of zen-cart and I havent so far install any language packs or any add-ons. Products may be listed in free shipping and general. But I dont think its a problem cos I have said earlier, if I list the products with lower case titles, then evereything is fine but once there is some uppercase letters in the titles of the items, hmmm problem occurs, well, its not a problem but only its out of sight for search, isnt it. Have you searched as I said earlier.

Plugin Contributions

Getting very close to being stumped. I have no idea why the DS search isn't working. The capitalization issue may be from the collation settings in your products_description table.

Can you go into your control panel (from your hosting provider) and look for an option called phpMyAdmin? Go into that application, select your database (it will be called whatever you named it -- it's probably the only one there), select the products_description table (there may be a prefix on the name if you set one), and look at the structure of the table. In the collation column, does the products_name field have a value of "utf8_general_ci"? If you hover over that value, it should say something like "Unicode, case-insensitive."
    Last edited by Tick; 8 Dec 2009 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Fixed table name.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Tick, I trully appreciate your help.
    I am trying to follow your instructions but I think I may get lost easily in your directions now. As I said before, I am a novice and I dont know anything about Databases and stuff and I never gave a name to a database myself. When I installed zen-cart in my hosting place, it was all automatic, ie; everything was done for me and all I have to do was start adding products, of course, I may have to cofigure some things. Anyway, I tried to follow your instructions and was able to open the databse and I found that place you instructed and when I hover over that value, it said "Unicode (multilingual) Binary".
    Also, you can see a picture of it through my the URL given below. I hope it will be of some help for you.

http://www.fahimagu.com/shop/index.p...&products_id=6

thanks
    TRYING to TRY the TRUTH... http://www.hadhiyaa.com/shop

Plugin Contributions

I think we may have found it -- the case sensitivity issue, anyway. Your provider's script set up the database wrong. MySQL treats binary collations as case sensitive, meaning "Nintendo" would not be the same as "nintendo". Try the following on the products_description and manufacturers tables:

1. Go to the structure of the table (as you did in the screenshot you linked to).
    2. Check the box on the left of each row that has a collation listed. In the screenshot you made, that would be for the rows containing products_name, products_description, and products_url.
    3. Edit the checked items by clicking on the pencil down at the bottom of the listing. I've edited in a big red arrow pointing to it in the attached screenshot.
    4. A screen will come up listing the properties of each field. Change the collation to "utf8_general_ci". For each field.
    5. Click "Save".
    6. Try the "Nintendo" search again. You should get both products.
    7. If it works, you will need to repeat the process (except for testing the search) on every table in the cart.

You might also want to try the "DS" search again. I'm not sure why that one isn't working, but it will be nice if this fixes it too!

BTW, don't worry about being a beginner. We all started somewhere. You managed to navigate around in phpMyAdmin using only my (sketchy) instructions, so I'd say you're doing pretty well!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Plugin Contributions

THANKS THANKS THANKS, its wonderful, and its working fine, atleast my problem for the timebeing is solved. THANKS.
    I dont how could I thank you. I have been away from this computer last 24hrs and thats why I couldnt answer sooner. I just changed the field/s you instructed and now everything is fine, no matter in what case the product is listed. I am so happy and I hope you would be willing to help all of us when we need your help. Thanks TICK.

Plugin Contributions

No problem at all. Glad I could help. This forum really is one of the best reasons to use Zen Cart. There are a whole host of people here willing to help all of us out when we get stuck.

Don't forget to change the collation values in the other tables (especially customers). Otherwise, you'll get odd behavior with other pages as well.

Good luck with your store!

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Tick. I want to follow your advice but since its a lot of work to change all those, is there a way I can use the site without bringing the changes you mentioned?
    I have checked a little, I mean, a member logged in and he tried everything by himself and found no problem so far in searching any products that it listed. I havent configured a lot of things like, languages, shipping, store name, locations and especially the "online payment" part yet and therefore one cant test the site for the full functionality yet. I hope everything will be fine. Lets hope for the best. If you know or think of any apparent issues invloved in if I didnt bring those changes you said, please tell me. I dont want to touch anything that is not needed. Your help will be much appreciated.
    Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

You can certainly give it a try. However, it may be worth it to put in the time up front rather than chase problems around later.

At a minimum, do the customers table (if you haven't already). Otherwise, people's email addresses will be case sensitive when they try to log in.

I can't speak to the payment modules. I can't think of a reason off the top of my head why they wouldn't work, however we only use two of them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast