Default Problem processing Credit Card with Paypal Standard

Hi,

I am new to Zen Cart, but must say I love it! Thanks Zen Cart team!

I am using Zen Cart 1.3.8p3 and PayPal Standard.
    My website is http://www.unrealphd.com
    My store is http://www.unrealphd.com/unrealphdstore

We are a video game design team and also sell a tutorial for Unreal Development Kit (UDK).

I set up a $1 product for testing. I am able to pay with Paypal with no problem.

When I pay with Credit Card, it looks like it goes through, but it doesn't actually charge the credit card, or show up as a payment in Paypal. I have updated the status of the order to Processing and Delivered but it still doesn't charge the card. What do I need to do to make it charge the card?

Also is there an automated way to process credit cards using Paypal Standard? Or do I have to manually update the order status? I have Digital Downloads, and if possible I would like to make it so my customers can pay with Credit Card, and process immediately so they can get their download link? Can I do this with PayPal Standard?

I am trying to stick with Paypal Website Payments Standard so I don't have to pay any monthly fees? Any alternate suggestions for this?

I know the answer is probably in this forum or online, but I have spent several hours looking and haven't found it.

Thanks in advance for any help! Zen Cart and the community here is wonderful!

Best Regards,
    Anthony B.
    www.unrealphd.com

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Problem processing Credit Card with Paypal Standard

If you mean the Offline CC module that's included with Zencart for testing, it doesn't do anything but send you the credit card number (split up in two different transmissions for 'security'). The idea is you will process the transaction with your existing merchant account.
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=67

Don't use it. It's inherently insecure, and won't be provided in the next version of Zencart.

The Paypal module should offer the customer the option of paying wiith a credit card, though, so I don't know what the issue is there.

I would recommend using Paypal Express instead of Standard.

The order status is something you update manually as the transaction goes through your system.

Thank you for your reply!

So I took your advice, I have disable Offline Credit card processing by setting Enable Credit Card Module to False. Sound right? Yeah I don't have a merchant account or the ability to process offline.

I guess this is where my confusion was. I was trying to checkout with the Credit Card option instead of Paypal, and assuming that Credit Card was processed by Paypal.

In my Payment Modules, to disable Paypal Standard, instead of clicking Remove, I choose False for Enable Paypal Module. I guess this should turn off Paypal Websites Payment Standard? Or do I need to click remove?

Then I set up Paypal Express.

I was reading up on Paypal Standard, and I guess you suggested not using that and using Paypal Express because if someone closed the browser after paying with Paypal without returning to my store, that it wouldn't track the sell properly? Are there other reasons?

Are there no drawbacks to using Express instead of Standard?

Thanks again for the help.

Sincerely,
    Anthony B.
    www.unrealphd.com

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by UnrealPHD.com View Post
    So I took your advice, I have disable Offline Credit card processing by setting Enable Credit Card Module to False. Sound right?
    No. You should click "Remove" to completely disable it.

I guess this is where my confusion was. I was trying to checkout with the Credit Card option instead of Paypal, and assuming that Credit Card was processed by Paypal.
    Right. Unless you've signed up for Website Payments Pro, you will NOT actually enter credit card numbers on your site if you want those cards processed by PayPal.
    Using Express or Standard will let you enter credit card info *on* the PayPal site when you're sent there to do payment.

In my Payment Modules, to disable Paypal Standard, instead of clicking Remove, I choose False for Enable Paypal Module. I guess this should turn off Paypal Websites Payment Standard? Or do I need to click remove?
    You really should click Remove.

I was reading up on Paypal Standard, and I guess you suggested not using that and using Paypal Express because if someone closed the browser after paying with Paypal without returning to my store, that it wouldn't track the sell properly? Are there other reasons?
    Express is more reliable technology and the integration for Zen Cart is more advanced with Express than Standard.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Thank you very much for your help!

Everything is up and working in our Game Design website.

It's great to see an active, open-source community! Wow!

Best Regards,
    Anthony B.
    www.unrealphd.com
    www.mn8multimedia.com
    http://unrealphd.com
    UnrealPHD.com - Video Game Design Tutorials