Default Upgrading and headers/titles wonky; variable names being used, not variable contents

In process of upgrading to 1.3.8 and instead of seeing the contents of variables, I see the actual variable names. You'd think I mucked around with a file somewhere, but I really haven't changed much source and it's been like this since I first upgraded so I really don't think it was something I did. Here are some examples:

Up top, I see:
    HEADER_TITLE_CATALOG HEADER_TITLE_LOGIN HEADER_TITLE_CART_CONTENTS HEADER_TITLE_CHECKOUT

HEADER_SALES_TEXT

and my all my boxes too - categories is BOX_HEADING_CATEGORIES

and so on. I'm sure there is a simple fix! I can send a link privately if anyone wants to see what I mean.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgrading and headers/titles wonky; variable names being used, not variable conte

What version are you upgrading from?
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Default Re: Upgrading and headers/titles wonky; variable names being used, not variable conte

From version 1.3.7.

This also means my buttons aren't working. For example, here is some generated code:
    <!--bof Add to Cart Box -->
    <div id="cartAdd">
    PRODUCTS_ORDER_QTY_TEXT<input type="text" name="cart_quantity" value="1" maxlength="6" size="4" /><br /><br /><input type="hidden" name="products_id" value="507" /><input type="image" src="includes/templates/template_default/buttons/english/BUTTON_IMAGE_IN_CART" alt="BUTTON_IN_CART_ALT" title=" BUTTON_IN_CART_ALT " /> </div>
    <!--eof Add to Cart Box-->

The pathname for the button should have what the variable BUTTON_IMAGE_IN_CART resolves to.

Plugin Contributions

Are all of your language files in place for your custom template?
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Kim, I'm not sure I understand the question. You mean in includes/templates/MY-TEMPLATE ? I don't see any language directory there but nor do I see one in the default template directory.

Woo hoo! Was missing a file. Turned on debug and found the error (was having another set of issues) and this wound up getting fixed by putting in the missing english.php file. How weird that it was missing.

Plugin Contributions

Glad you got it sorted out. Missing language files can really throw things out of whack!

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Glad you got it sorted out. Missing language files can really throw things out of whack!
    Good to know. It does make me wonder though, what other files might not have uploaded. I can't test every single thing before going live. Ah well. I live on the edge a bit.