Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Re: Display Categories In Separate Boxes

The addon works great - however, what Im wanting to do is have each category show in a separate box (which it does), but instead of showing just the subcategories (which I dont have any of), show the products themselves in that list.

How would I modify the code to do this?
    Thanks all.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Display Categories In Separate Boxes

That would require modifying the SQL query first, and then adding variables to handle the new information. It is not a job for a novice.
    The Expanded Category Listing mod displays products as well as categories, but it displays all of them all the time. You might be able to use it for reference to modify another mod.

Categories Dressing can show all of your categories and subcats in separate boxes, though it won't do products.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gjh42 View Post
    That would require modifying the SQL query first, and then adding variables to handle the new information. It is not a job for a novice.
    The Expanded Category Listing mod displays products as well as categories, but it displays all of them all the time. You might be able to use it for reference to modify another mod.

Categories Dressing can show all of your categories and subcats in separate boxes, though it won't do products.
    Ok thanks GJH. I figured it wouldnt be simple :) I guess I could use the expanded categories mod, then make the main category header have a background image that would make it look like they were two separate boxes but with no space in between?

Plugin Contributions

i've installed the separate sidebox files and adjusted the master category id and all is working as expected.

however, i'm wondering if i can do more with it. i see in the readme that you can make different versions of the same sidebox. is there a way to display a separate sidebox i define only if the user is browsing a particular section of the site? is there a way to pin a sidebox to a subcategory?

for example, i have 3 main categories that allow people to view my products, by department, by tradition and by intention. within those, i have complex sub-category trees that are long and messy when you get deep into them.

so what i'd like to do is display only the separate sidebox with the current category that the user is browsing or even the current sub category.

i'd also like to tell it to only display the separate sidebox when the user is not on the main page.

thanks!
    :) emily
    http://store.inspiritcommon.com/
    ZC 1.3.8a on Godaddy :: EP 1.2.5.4 :: Adv Search 1.1 and a buncha other stuff

Plugin Contributions

i have just also installed Category Select (dropdown) Sidebox v1.4 and think it would be great if this dropdown could contain my 3 primary "shop by" categories and then Separate Category Sidebox v1.1 can display the current directory a user has chosen once they have left the main page.

i'm gonna tinker and see what i can do but i know diddle about how to write conditional php, if you have info or want to see what i'm up to, you can log in to the site in my .sig using un: alphatester pw: Gr8gratitude.

thanks! i'm learning!
    :) emily
    http://store.inspiritcommon.com/
    ZC 1.3.8a on Godaddy :: EP 1.2.5.4 :: Adv Search 1.1 and a buncha other stuff

Plugin Contributions

I uploaded the Separate Category Sidebox v1.1 and it works, but I know have the states category in the top and in a separate box. What did I do wrong? www.southerngenealogybooks.com

Plugin Contributions

Emily - I was away at Pennsic when you posted here. It looks like you have achieved some results; do you want to get anything different from the way it works now? I guess you figured out the conditionals to hide all of the product type categories in the regular sidebox, and display all of them in the separate sidebox. I do note that the categories in the separate sidebox will not open to show their subs in the menu, but must rely on the top/center display.

If you use Categories Dressing, you can display the Department/Intention/Tradition categories and the product line categories in separate boxes, but all of them will open to their subs in the sidebox menu. You can put whatever organizational headings you want in any location.
    Let me know if you need help with anything.

Plugin Contributions

I think this is the right module for what I'd like to do, can someone help me confirm a few things?

Adding Several Separate Category Sideboxes

If you wish to add more than one category in separate sideboxes, simply open the 3 files included in this mod find and replace separate_category in all of the 3 files by maintaining their proper case. Also change the 3 files name to match your category name.
    (quoted from module read me.)

I interpret this to mean the following:
    rename the "category" txt of the file names to match that of the categories, as well as within the files.

For multiple boxes of multiple categories: make a separate set of these three files for each one.

However, when I do this I get this error:

"1146 Table 'leg1026807505238.categories' doesn't exist
    in:
    [select c.categories_id, cd.categories_name, c.parent_id, c.categories_image from categories c, categories_description cd where c.categories_id = cd.categories_id and c.categories_status = 1 and c.parent_id = 1 order by sort_order, cd.categories_name]"

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Plugin Contributions

It is the exact text "separate_category" that you need to change for the additional boxes, keeping upper/lowercase the same in each location. The simplest way would be to just use separate_category2 (adding a "2") for each instance. The category names are irrelevant to this adjustment, though they are relevant to having the sidebox ids and possibly headings match the content.

I haven't used the mod so can't say for sure, but it looks like it may be hard-coded to look for a table named categories, which would fail if your database had prefixes (the table would then be named yourprefix_categories).

Quote Originally Posted by fontaholic View Post
    i've installed the separate sidebox files and adjusted the master category id and all is working as expected.

however, i'm wondering if i can do more with it. i see in the readme that you can make different versions of the same sidebox. is there a way to display a separate sidebox i define only if the user is browsing a particular section of the site? is there a way to pin a sidebox to a subcategory?

for example, i have 3 main categories that allow people to view my products, by department, by tradition and by intention. within those, i have complex sub-category trees that are long and messy when you get deep into them.

so what i'd like to do is display only the separate sidebox with the current category that the user is browsing or even the current sub category.

i'd also like to tell it to only display the separate sidebox when the user is not on the main page.

thanks!
    Does anyone know how this can be achieved?
    Display all subcategories from a master category on all product info pages/ subcategory pages of that selected master category and not show them on all other pages?...Hope this makes sense.

It doesn't have to be for this contribution in particular, I just need to set the condition, like:

if ($this_is_home_page) {
    $show_featured = true;
    } else {
    $show_featured = false;
    }
    if ($show_featured == true) {
    }

I tried with:
    if($current_category_id == 13) {
    }

But it only displays on one page: the main category page and not the subcategories or product pages.

Any help appreciated!
    Last edited by kidsstuff; 24 Oct 2010 at 08:35 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast