Plugin Contributions

help question bring 1.2.6 database into new 1.3.8 test site??

How can this be done??

I can figure out how to back up and save the database.

All I want to do is bring the 1.2.x database's products, atttributes, prices, etc. into a new 1.3.x database / test site so I don't have to re-key everything.

New database will likely have a new name.

Should I use Easy Populate as an export / import tool??

Thank you, Tom

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: bring 1.2.6 database into new 1.3.8 test site??

EasyPop will bring in your general product data, but unless you have EasyPop ADVANCED, you will only get attribute names and options, and NOT the relationships these have with individual products.

You are far better off doing a full UPGRADE of the database, then using export/import to bring the data into the new database.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

help question Re: bring 1.2.6 database into new 1.3.8 test site??

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
    EasyPop will bring in your general product data, but unless you have EasyPop ADVANCED, you will only get attribute names and options, and NOT the relationships these have with individual products.

You are far better off doing a full UPGRADE of the database, then using export/import to bring the data into the new database.
    Thank you for answering on EasyPop.

Some questions on this:
    1. I was really more wondering how I take the actual mySQL database used in the 1.2.x site and import it to the 1.3.8.x site -- the tables containing products, atttributes, etc.
    2. Does this mean that I would install EasyPop on both the 1.2.x and 1.3.x site to do the export/import??

Could someone please clarify about the upgrade of the database??

I worked with ZC when it was in 1.2.x phase and I am completely new to 1.3.x.
    What does this mean and where can I find out about this??
    Meanwhile I will check the wiki etc.

Thank you, Tom
    Last edited by tlyczko; 18 Jan 2010 at 04:42 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Plugin Contributions

Misty points you in the right direction...

Do a FULL UPGRADE of your existing site (code files and database) following the procedure in the tutorial.

If you try to take short-cuts you will have problems, because the database VERSION is as important as the CODE version (new php, new functions, new processes) - and the CODE and the DBASE must be the same version as each other...

I would not bother about easy populate, because when your existing store is ALL 1.3.8a, then you can migrate all or parts of it to a store that is all equally 1.3.8a.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

I will try the tutorial several times, hopefully it will work. :)

I had the Super Orders mod installed, I cannot recall if it installed custom tables, fields, etc. or not, I will somehow find out, I am sure...

Thank you, Tom

Plugin Contributions

My team is tackling a similar feat by rebuilding an old 1.2.7 site to the latest 1.3.9 version. (Finally convinced a customer to take advantage of upgrades!)

We have a complete dump of all data from the previous site database and we are building the 'upgraded' version on a new server with the new database, and manually porting over template customizations.

Someone mentioned to me that the database format of 1.3.9 with mysql5 is different than the 1.2.7 site with mysql4 and therefore we cannot port over the database, and will have to enter products manually. Is this true?

This website has several products and customer/order history that I would like the preserve. The products are basic standard shippable items, and they do have some attributes. We also have UPSXML installed.

Is there something else I should know besides the standard upgrade docs?

Plugin Contributions

Have a Drink Re: bring 1.2.6 database into new 1.3.8 test site??

I have upgraded a 1.2.6 db to 1.3.8 using the recommended ZC procedure. It will work. Do this in a test environment until you get it to work to your satisfaction, document what you do, then do it on your live environment.

Caveats: Keep all ZC database passwords the SAME for the import, especially the mySQL root password. Same goes for site passwords. If you used a db prefix, do not change/remove it.

Another way is to export all your tables from the older mySQL into a newer mySQL, then create a new 1.3.9 site with the exported tables' data.

That said, 1.2.x and 1.3.x are tons different in terms of templates, a LOT of work must be done to have a decent-looking site.

HTH Tom