Plugin Contributions

Default Website Maintenance

Hi All,

Just need a little help if at all possible, my web hosting guys have told me i need to do a little maintenance on my admin side of things, ie delete unused emails, something about unused files and images in the cache or buffer, for the sake of the children....!!!!! where do i do this from?, any help would be appreciated please.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Website Maintenance

What exactly did they tell you to delete. I am guessing you are hosted with something like HostMonster where they have limit on the file count.
    If you have SSU installed you are probably caching the URI in the cache folder which needs to be cleaned regularly to keep the file count down. Another mod that use caching is the Image Handler, if you have a lot of images that will add up to a lot of copies in the bmz_cache.

Other than that everything in the admin is database driven and will not be cached as a file.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the quick reply,

I was told to delete the emails that come through my website, also try to keep the image files down to a minimum size re-size them smaller and such, im going to have a look at the image handler as well, SSU im not sure about, im pretty new at this, just learning the ropes by hands on experience.

Plugin Contributions

Also check admin>email options>Email Archiving Active?

If set to true, this will save every email sent from or received by your store in the database which can add up to a LOT of space on an active store. Unless you really need copies in your database, set this to false.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

just checked the email option and it is false, so thats a good thing, on the image handler if i delete the cache, what exactly does it delete? and another quicky the admin activity is it like a web browser where you need to delete you cookies and browser history?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lofty View Post
    on the image handler if i delete the cache, what exactly does it delete?
    You can safely delete all the folders and images within the \bmz_cache folder. Image Handler will recreate the folders and images as needed. Depending on how many images have been cached, this could free up a bunch of storage space.
    Last edited by Crunch; 19 Jan 2010 at 04:51 PM.

Plugin Contributions

thanks guys i really appreciate all the help you have given me, i now know a little more on the admin side of my site and the correct running of it