Plugin Contributions

Default Ozpost Combine shipping !! Possible ?

Hi all

Very new to all of this. I have a zencart website that I am currently setting up. I have a gun programmer mate who does all the back end. I however have to deal with the running and testing etc...

Is it possible to allow for combine postage rates ?

lets say someone buys a toy car and it costs $5 for postage, then they continue shopping, and purchase a plush toy and alone that item costs a certain amount to post but combined in one box will be a cheaper rate for both.

Once a box finds its way over 1 KG the box must be cubed (measured) and then the calculations change according to Australia post...

Basically I require any help with how to deal with customers who buy multiple items and how do I combine shipping costs at a cheaper rate.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any ideas on the matter.

and sorry if this has already been brough up... Please point me in the right direction

Cheers

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Ozpost Combine shipping !! Possible ?

Quote Originally Posted by toytemple View Post
    Basically I require any help with how to deal with customers who buy multiple items and how do I combine shipping costs at a cheaper rate.
    The ozpost module will combine all the items in the cart, calculating the weights and sizes and will then produce a set of quotes for the entire 'parcel'.

All you really need do is ensure that your store items have accurate weights and dimensions.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    The ozpost module will combine all the items in the cart, calculating the weights and sizes and will then produce a set of quotes for the entire 'parcel'.

All you really need do is ensure that your store items have accurate weights and dimensions.

Cheers
    Rod

First off thank you so much for responding, its much appreciated..

What if the 2 different items add up to over 1 kg, which means it must be cubed, how does the module know what measurements the box will be for the 2 combined items ?

Cheers !!

Plugin Contributions

First off thank you so much for responding, its much appreciated..

What if the 2 different items add up to over 1 kg, which means it must be cubed, how does the module know what measurements the box will be for the 2 combined items ?

Cheers !!
    The module 'stacks' the items (crude, but pretty effective).

As for the actual measurements, you need to supply them when you add products to the cart... the ozpost module updates the database (and other files) to allow for this additional data.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    The module 'stacks' the items (crude, but pretty effective).

As for the actual measurements, you need to supply them when you add products to the cart... the ozpost module updates the database (and other files) to allow for this additional data.

Cheers
    Rod
    ok cool

Ok one last thing, do I measure the actual item or do I measure the boxes that each of the seperate items would fit in ?

Or do i measure the item itself and maybe up the figures a little for some leeway...

Does that question make sense ?

again thanks for your help.

Plugin Contributions

ok cool

Ok one last thing, do I measure the actual item or do I measure the boxes that each of the seperate items would fit in ?

Or do i measure the item itself and maybe up the figures a little for some leeway...

Does that question make sense ?
    You'd generally measure the items as if they were box-shaped (rather than the size of the box(es) that any given item would fit into. There is nothing wrong with upping the dimensions a little to allow some leeway, but do keep in mind that any increase in dimensions will be multiplied by the number of items in the cart ... eg, if you add 1cm to the height of the items, and someone orders 100 of them, the quote will be for a box almost 100cm taller than it actually is.

The other thing to consider is that if your items are quite small (ie, fits into a #0 or #1 padded bag then they may be suitable for letter rates, so if you add too much leeway you will be negating this option.

Finally, you need to bear in mind that for most parcels the cubing rules don't/won't even come into play, and they are costed solely on weight. The only times the cubing rules come into effect is if the parcels are over 1kg AND have an 'unusual' size/weight ratio. For example, a box of bricks will never be subject to the cubing rules, but a box containing 1kg+ of feathers will (maybe. Depends on how tightly you pack 'em)

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Cheers mate your a Legend...

All the Best

Plugin Contributions

Cheers mate your a Legend...

All the Best
    A leg end eh? Does that make me a foot or a ##########?

Cheers
    Rod