Plugin Contributions

Default Admin Profiles and/or Admin Activity? What do I need?

I need to know if Admin Profiles and/or Admin Activity will do what I want...

Our admin area is accessed by a large number of staff. Currently this is all through one username and password which has turned into a bit of a security nightmare over the last couple of days.

I want to know exactly what each member of staff is adding/editing whilst they're logged in. Can I combine the Admin Profiles mod with the Admin Activity mod to pinpoint exactly what each user is editing?

Or do I just need the Admin Activity mod? I'm unclear as to how this mod identifies unique admins, anyone care to explain? We have about 20 absolutely identical computers running off the same IP address (I think??) all accessing our admin area so how would I be able to tell which admin is responsible for what changes?

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Admin Profiles and/or Admin Activity? What do I need?

Admin Profiles will allow you to create separate IDs and passwords for each user and limit their access to the admin (just remember to give someone access to all admin functions).

Admin Activity appears to be simply a report. It won't help with your security issue.

Since you're all sharing the same IP, you won't be able to differentiate between users that way.

I use Admin Profiles on the Holzheimer's site, but the site owner doesn't have access to most of the admin functions. She just wants to be able to print packing slips and fill orders.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Hmm, I'm not sure if either will help then.
    The problem is with two admins who both need the ability to alter stock figures so restricting access won't help. And if Admin Activity is based on IP address then that will be pretty useless too!

Heh, thanks for your help anyway!

Plugin Contributions

Doesn't the admin activity log indicate which admin id made each entry? I have not used the activity mod, just accessed the log through phpmyadmin.

Plugin Contributions

Actually, you're right. It identifies the user by the id number.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Admin activity would have been the mod needed. Indeed the information that it displays is already captured by Zen Cart, and can be read by somebody with database skills. The mod just makes it available in report form.

However, if all your admins are using the same admin ID from the same IP address, then there is no way to separate who did what.

I'd recommend putting in place a proper set of user access procedures as the highest priority, and then using Admin Activity to be able to see what they're doing (though you'll probably be flooded with information) and then use Admin Profiles to restrict people to those pages appropriate to their job function.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)