Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Adding to an existing web site

I have built a website in Dreamweaver using HTML and Flash so far. I have it looking almost exactly how the client wants it and I am now trying to figure out how to add in an ecommerce solution. This is my first attempt at creating a successful ecommerce site and I am honestly feeling a little daunted by the process. Every prebuilt shopping cart seems to want me to make the entire site with it, which is not really needed for this outfit. They only sell 3 products, but the products are customizable.

What I am needing is a way to take variable outputs from AS2.0 and HTML forms and store them along with the orders so that when the invoices are sent to my clients they know what customizations are needed on the products. I don't need any category or search functions. I don't need the whole site to be a storefront. I basically need the submit buttons in the forms to add the items + information to the cart and then allow the customer to select a payment method. I would like to include Google Checkout, Paypal and a feature that allows them to use either paypal or google to just put in their credit cart without having to have an account. My clients also want an upfront shipping calculator.

Can someone help me out a bit? I am a coding novice and have no idea how to get this taken care of. I searched and read a few posts and it seems like this is a great community that really helps each other out. *crosses fingers*

Adam

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Adding to an existing web site

I basically need the submit buttons in the forms to add the items + information to the cart and then allow the customer to select a payment method.
    Sorry to disappoint you, but Zen Cart is not designed to operate that way.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Sorry to disappoint you, but Zen Cart is not designed to operate that way.
    That is what I was afraid of. Could anyone point me in the way of a tutorial or free/cheap program that could help me to accomplish my goal. I need something that i can put into my existing framework if at all possible.

Plugin Contributions

There is a "shop-front" that integrates with Dreamweaver's dsign and management system... I can't recall what it's called but if you go to Dreamweaver forums and look for "shpopping cart for Dreamweaver" you may have better luck.

It is a commercial add-on for dreamweaver, but I think it is under $300...
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Adalast View Post
    I have built a website in Dreamweaver using HTML and Flash so far. I have it looking almost exactly how the client wants it and I am now trying to figure out how to add in an ecommerce solution. ...
    This is the part I just cannot understand. How could anyone take on a job that includes an eCommerce component, and design the whole site almost to completion, and only then go looking for the eComm part? That is just plain nuts, if you don't mind my saying so.

Rob

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by rstevenson View Post
    This is the part I just cannot understand. How could anyone take on a job that includes an eCommerce component, and design the whole site almost to completion, and only then go looking for the eComm part? That is just plain nuts, if you don't mind my saying so.

Rob
    Good point - and it relates to people being clueless about functionality issues and who regard cosmetics as the priority...

I am fortunate to have a good client-base in this industry, but almost without exception, they all haggle me over stupid things like the "shape of a button" or a "background colour being too dark"...

They have not the slightest inkling or concern for functional reliability - all that stuff that happens deep within the server, completely out of view.

I put part of this problem to bad training in, and knowledge of the basics. These days you can buy and install Adobe CS on Friday, and by Monday start trading as a "web designer".

So sophisticated is the WYSIWYG element these days, that it is practically unnecessary to even know how to spell HTML and CSS - never mind understand what they mean!

But I relish these ignorant designers... a LOT of customers have come on board with me because the person who "built" their site is completely incapable of managing it.

15 years of grounding in, and focus on, the basics is a USP I don't want widely diluted. I am sure my contemporaries in this industry feel the same!
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

I am going to try not to take anything that was said above personally. I am fairly ignorant of the finer aspects of the background functions and I was upfront with my clients about this. By trade I am a 3d artist who took some web design classes for that were included in my 3d animation degree program. The only reason I am doing the web design work instead of Visual Effects is because that is the work I can find where I live. We all have to do something to get by in this economy, right?

I do do all of my coding in HTML and CSS and personally hate the WYSIWYG design stuff... I find it annoying actually. Unfortunately for me my training only included HTML, CSS, Flash and AS2.

Thank you for the advice on the shop-front thing. One question though, did you mean the Adobe Dreamweaver forums or do you know of a better one?

Plugin Contributions

At least now you know to start an e-commerce project with a good platform. The fundamental concepts of a site's purpose can and should be developed first, but then you need to pick a platform that works with those before starting design.

It is quite possible to make good-looking websites without much knowledge of PHP or MySQL, as long as you have a resource for help (like this forum).

Plugin Contributions

Unfortunately the client dragged their feet on getting me the information I needed for the eCommerce. Now I know to make that my starting point. As I have never put together an eCommerce site I had no idea going into it what was going to be needed. Now that I do I will definitely be making my next clients that want eCommerce get me the information for that first.

I have been contemplating if I should just remake the site in one of the opensource carts that are around. I put together a flowchart of how the site needs to work... hoping it might help me in my quest for understanding and completion.

This whole thing would probably be easier if my clients whole business model didn't center around the customization of their products. They sell things that get engraved and the like and need that information sent to them when the order finishes getting processed.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Adalast View Post
    I am going to try not to take anything that was said above personally. I am fairly ignorant of the finer aspects of the background functions and I was upfront with my clients about this. By trade I am a 3d artist who took some web design classes for that were included in my 3d animation degree program. The only reason I am doing the web design work instead of Visual Effects is because that is the work I can find where I live. We all have to do something to get by in this economy, right?

I do do all of my coding in HTML and CSS and personally hate the WYSIWYG design stuff... I find it annoying actually. Unfortunately for me my training only included HTML, CSS, Flash and AS2.

Thank you for the advice on the shop-front thing. One question though, did you mean the Adobe Dreamweaver forums or do you know of a better one?
    You are absolutely correct, and upon reflection, my post must be seen as a general observation, rather than any slight on your own personal proficiencies. I'm sorry if it sounded offensive.

Please accept my apologies, no offence was meant.

HOWEVER... on the issue of functionality...

What you have created in DW is quite possibly "render-able" in any good CMS, as functions are pretty universal - just that the "engine" driving the functions can be a choice of a wide variety of platforms.

There are many important considerations regarding eCommerce - a large number of them relating to issues like site security, operational integrity and extendability. You could look for a "bolt-on" system to a "flat html" site, but you will probably have to sacrifice some reliability and extendability.

What you should do at this juncture (assuming you feel ZC is appropriate technology for eCommerce), is look at "slicing" your design into Zencart. This is generally achievable, though if you are on a tight deadline you may have to "buy in" some zc expertise.

This forum has a LOT of help and advice, and despite my earlier "brash" comment, I'll willingly contribute to commentaries if I have the knowledge...
    20 years a Zencart User

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast