Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default New User CURL error on install

I'm a new Zen Cart user and attempting to set up my first site with it. All of the instructions were quite clear but I'm running into an issue.

I apologize in advance if this has been covered elsewhere but I've been unable to find anything that's an exact match to this and Earthlink has been useless as far as support goes.

Here are the details.

This is the most recent version of Zen Cart and I'm attempting to get it installed on www hpmarketingcorp com. I made sure the client got an SSL certificate and the site is hosted by Earthlink.

When I try to install it on line I get the following the errors:

# CURL requires SSL support. Please notify webmaster or hosting company. 1 => libcurl was built with SSL disabled, https: not supported!
    # CURL problems detected: 7 => Connect timeout on IP number 1
    # CURL requires SSL support. Please notify webmaster or hosting company. 1 => libcurl was built with SSL disabled, https: not supported!

Please feel free to flame me if I've missed any obvious information and accept my thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: New User CURL error on install

Quote Originally Posted by graphixguy View Post
    Please notify webmaster or hosting company. 1 => libcurl was built with SSL disabled, https: not supported!
    As the error message says, you need to talk to your hosting company and get them to enable SSL in CURL.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks. I appreciate you takig the time to help. But I could a bit more to go on. For starters, talking to support at Earthlink is an excercise in futility.

So, if I could impose on you to give me just a bit more info I'd be very grateful. I'm not even sure what "enable SSL in CURL" means.

Plugin Contributions

Here's a bit more after another call. I'm told that CURL is enabled and they can find no problems with the SSL certificate.

I was told that the certificate is an unchained certificate in case that matters.

Thanks again!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Did you give them the error message? Cuz that message is coming back from the server directly in response to making a CURL request to an SSL URL.

You don't need to study and learn how to run a webserver just to use a website. That's the job of your hosting company. If they're incompetent, choose someone else.

But ... let's back up a bit. CURL is used to collect live shipping cost quotations from some services, submit payment transactions from various gateways, and a few other minor things. What exactly do you intend to use your store for? With whom will you be shipping? Which company is your merchant account with, and which gateway service will you be using to collect payments? Answer those questions before you worry yourself too much about CURL.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond. I need to get some of those details from my client. I'll post back when I have them.

But...this is supposed to be a very simple store with only 50 or so items. Not sure of how they intend to process the payments.

Are you saying that depending upon the answers I may not even need this? Because I don't think the installation will even procede without correcting the erro.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Installation will allow you to proceed even if CURL errors exist. But, if you choose to use services which require CURL, you may encounter unexpected problems.

But the answers to those questions are important.

Plugin Contributions

So, lets say, hypothetically, the client only wants to put a few items up for sale and will take paypal and handle the shipping by themselves (simplest senario I can think of), I could then just ignore those errors?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Connecting to PayPal requires CURL for submitting transactions. And, it connects to PayPal on a SSL URL.

If you're doing a new install, there's a standalone CURL test script you can point your hosting company to so they can see the error themselves:
    http://www.your_domain.com/extras/curltest.php?paypal=1
    It uses the same CURL tests as the installer does.

They'll need to update their libcurl implementation, probably requiring a recompile of PHP and OpenSSL, with CURL options enabled. But, they're the experts in that area. If your interaction with first-level or second-level support doesn't get you in touch with someone knowledgeable, escalate to 3rd-level or to the department manager.
    Or move to a host who knows what they're doing.

Plugin Contributions

Again...thanks so much.

I assume I was supposed to add the store directory in there after the domain name. Here's the result:

1 libcurl was built with SSL disabled, https: not supported!

Array
    (
    [url] => "https://api-3t.paypal.com/nvp"
    [http_code] => 0
    [header_size] => 0
    [request_size] => 0
    [filetime] => -1
    [ssl_verify_result] => 0
    [redirect_count] => 0
    [total_time] => 0
    [namelookup_time] => 0
    [connect_time] => 0