Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default localhost installation problems

Hello, I'm new here.
    I just tried setting up zen cart on my localhost and recieve errors with the using curl.dll for php5 during zen install.

# CURL problems detected: 6 => Could not resolve host: www.zen-cart.com; Host not found more info...
    # CURL requires SSL support. Please notify webmaster or hosting company. 6 => Could not resolve host: www.zen-cart.com; Host not found more info...
    # CURL problems detected: 5 => Could not resolve proxy: proxy.shr.secureserver.net; Host not found more info...
    # CURL requires SSL support. Please notify webmaster or hosting company. 5 => Could not resolve proxy: proxy.shr.secureserver.net; Host not found

Is there a way around this for initial setups on localhost?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: localhost installation problems

Yep. The first step is to add a SERVER to your pc.........if you're using windows, I would recommend WAMP, if you're using a linux system, try XAMP.

That will turn your pc into a webserver. This program includes the apache server, php, phpMyAdmin, sql, and all that good stuff that Zen-Cart requires to run on localhost.

It's one of the most reliable programs out there, and one of the easiest to install.

Hope this helps.

Note: When you install on localhost, don't install with "SSL" enabled, as you will still get all those cURL errors.
    Teach them to shop and they will shop today;
    Teach them to Zen and they will OWN a shop tomorrow!

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Get Em Fast, but I use smaller light weight server options.
    quickPHP - php plus server ready to go. (For fast testing offline)
    mySQL5 download from mysql (which should be a standalone exe)
    HeidiSQLPortable

I enjoy portability & flexibility...so how and where can i turn off ssl in zen cart? if i can.

Plugin Contributions

You must edit BOTH configure.php files...........includes/configure.php........find this line (around line 20):

Code:
    define('ENABLE_SSL', 'false');
    Set to false, as shown.

Then, in........admin/includes/configure.php.........find these 2 lines (around 35-36):

Code:
    define('ENABLE_SSL_CATALOG', 'false');
      define('ENABLE_SSL_ADMIN', 'false');
    Set to false, as shown.

Hope this helps.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the help Get Em Fast,
    I got it installed just fine on the net. The definitions you gave were already set there's just something that don't function properly offline with either of my server setups. I'll probly have to find a way to manually install it. Thanks anyway for your help.

Plugin Contributions

I have the same problem - did u find a way round this? I really want to try and work with this on my localhost but I'm finding it a bit difficult to install.
    I'm working with WAMP and have checked to make sure SSL is turned off.
    thanks

Plugin Contributions

Hi Basil,
    I havn't had a chance to work on the offline part yet. I'm thinking you don't have to install it locally, you should just be able to adapt pathways in the main configuration files correctly. I did read somewhere that the cart has functions specific to the Apache server, but I'm unsure of what they are. I did notice that config files for admin and main area are almost exactly the same. And at the bottom of both there is an extra pathway that needs to be set for caching. I'm also thinking php has another extension that's supposed to run with curl but again I'm unsure.

Will contact you if I can fix things soon, or please contact me if you find a way.

Plugin Contributions

@Basil,
    I'm not sure what WAMP uses but you can try just continuing the installation and see if it sets up...backtracing between the site configuaration files and the localhost files the admin configure is completey rewritten and renamed. I guessing that's how the cart knows if install pathways are right or not. I tried 2 different localhost structures and recieved the same goto install window. Will have to check more into curl.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by c1lonewolf View Post
    I tried 2 different localhost structures and recieved the same goto install window.
    Of course you did. Is that what you're trying to do.......get a site up and running WITHOUT having to go through the install process?
    That won't work. It MUST be installled. You can install a fresh copy of ZC, then add your customized your files to it.

Plugin Contributions

Of course you did. Is that what you're trying to do.......get a site up and running WITHOUT having to go through the install process? That won't work.
    Of course not, part of the cart programming soley relies on install and using apache to rewrite the configuration files. (Yes, I've compared the online configs to the default sent with the cart) I don't use apache as an offline server. I prefer lightweight portable options.

If you have to turn your entire computer into an internet server just run a simple set of scripts then what's the point. I could go on but let's face it, zencart was developed by programmers for programmers. It really has nothing for the non programmer or a person just wanting to setup a simple shop that knows nothing about it to do.

ZenCart Bells & Whistles - excellent
    Advertising for ZenCart - exciting
    Functionality - Fantastic
    Easy Installation Online - works!
    Easy Installation Offline - depends on system setup.

Out-of-the-box to basic working/operational storefront : timelimit 1hr.
    won't happen

Learning Curve - extreme
    Template Creation - poor
    Folder/File Structure - poor
    Listening/ fixing complaints - moderate

That was just part of my short list developed from what I've seen so far.

Zencart has alot of untapped potential to be one of the fastest growing open source ecommerce softwares on the net with a wider fan base and users adding more things like codes, graphics easy setups etc. But those who have things to add won't if they have a hard time operating/understanding it.

A Few suggestions:
    It's got enough stuff to it right now, but needs a major system overhaul. It needs more output with less coding, adaptable to user (regardless of age/business experience), flexibilty for both programmers and users alike.

These suggestions only deal with the online (out-of-the-box) application , offline could be adapted at a later date if needed.

Well anyway that's my 2cents for now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast