Plugin Contributions

Default Adding a New Template

Hi,

I recently found a new free template that I wanted to use. It is from the website: 12leaves.com. Anyhow, I downloaded the template and then used FileZilla to transfer the files to my server. It is now located in the same folder as my other templates.

My problem is, the template does not show up as one of the possibilities in the ZenCart Template Selection. I have tried refreshing the page and logging-out and logging back in but it is still not there. Does anyone have any ideas about what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Mike

P.S. I have uploaded another template before and I did not have this problem...Maybe there is just a problem with this particular template.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Adding a New Template

Compare the STRUCTURE of this template with classic. Is there a template info file? Are the directories in the proper hierarchy? Did you load them to the proper location?
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Hey thanks. That helped me solve the problem. I can now select this template.

However, there is still a small problem. The top navigation bar reads like this:

Top_Menu_Home, Top_Menu_New_Products, Top_Menu_Specials, etc... (it should read: Home, New Products, Specials, etc..)

The same problem exists for the shopping cart: Header_Shopping_Cart_Empty

and Advanced Search: Header_Advanced_Search

I would imagine that I have to edit the code somehow. I am certainly no expert with website design, but I do understand the basics. Do you know where I would need to go to edit these things?

I have the following folders/files:

buttons, common, css, images, sideboxes, templates, english.php, header.php, index.php, template_info.php.

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

When you are getting output LIKE_THIS instead of the normal text, that means that you have a missing/misplaced/corrupted language file. Since you apparently had at least some files in the wrong locations to start, "misplaced" seems the most likely.

You should not need to edit any files, just find and properly locate the missing one(s). The filepaths are critical; having the right file in the wrong place is useless.

Plugin Contributions

Hi, thanks for the quick response. You are definitely correct - there is a language folder and it must not be in the right location. Where would the right location be?

When I dl the template it comes like this:

PureBlue Template
    -Includes
    -languages
    -english
    -pure_blue (1)
    --header.php
    --index.php
    -pure_blue (2)
    --english.php

-templates
    -pure_blue (3)
    -buttons
    -common
    -css
    -images
    -sideboxes
    -templates
    --template_info.php

The only way I have been able to get the template to appear in the Template Selection area of the ZenCart admin is by uploading the pure_blue (3) folder w/ buttons, common, css, images, etc... to the same location as my other templates on my server. As you can see, the languages folder is in a different location. I tried moving the languages folder into the pure_blue (3) folder but this did nothing. I also tried uploading the includes folder to the same location as my other templates but then the template does not show up in the template selection area in the ZenCart admin. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot for the support!

Plugin Contributions

Maybe that will help with the folder breakdown...

When I dl the template it comes like this:

PureBlue Template
    -Includes
    --languages
    ---english
    ----pure_blue (1)
    -----header.php
    -----index.php
    ---pure_blue (2)
    ----english.php

--templates
    ---pure_blue (3)
    ----buttons
    ----common
    ----css
    ----images
    ----sideboxes
    ----templates
    ----template_info.php

Plugin Contributions

That is the right folder structure. You should be able to upload the /includes/ folder to the root of your site, and all the template folders and files will go into the correct locations.

Plugin Contributions

One of the issues new users have is the fear that ftp-ing a FOLDER runs the risk of OVER-WRITING an existing folder on the server.

So they open up the folder tree, and try to FTP the individual FILES.

Often, this results in files going to the wrong location.

When using FTP, the rule is simple...

Just make sure you are at the appropriate LEVEL in both the local machine FTP frame, and the remote server frame.

This is relatively easy to determine, and MOST modules just require you to be (in the server frame) at the root installation of zencart.

Then, when you are at the appropriate directory LEVELS in both left and right FTP frames, select (highlight) the folders/files in the LEFT frame and drag them to the right frame (or use the arrow) to FTP the contents to the server.

FOLDERS will not overwrite each other - only FILES will overwrite (if they have the same name).

Of course one has to make sure that if the module overwrites other FILES, then the files destined to be overwritten do not contain important code that will disappear.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

It finally worked!

I made that a lot more difficult than it needed to be. Thanks for the support - I now have a much better understanding of the entire process.

Plugin Contributions

Hi Schoolboy,
    I have to say a very big thank you for what you wrote.
    I am new to all this and did exactly what you said new zenners do.
    After reading your thread, I now understand what I am supposed to do.
    I didn't understand about "Root Directories" and opened up and put the "Includes" folder into the "includes folder".
    Hence, it didn't work.
    Then tthis morning I read your post and it clicked in finally.
    So, thank you from the bottom of my heart from a totally new Zenner!!!

Jen