Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

help question Show Out of Stock Products Doesn't Work

I would like to set some products to be "Out Of Stock" and yet still be displayed on the shop although people won't be able to checkout with these products. I tried using the feature in the Admin (under Stock): Products status in Catalog when out of stock should be set to 1 (Showing the product as Active). And yet, whenever I did this, the product would automatically be disabled and not showing in the shop. I wonder if this is because my products are virtual?

Is there any quick and easy way to do this for virtual products?
    Basically I want the product status to be Active and Displayed, but people cannot purchase/checkout with them.

I've searched the forum and couldn't find any relevant solutions.
    Thanks a lot for any help.

Zen Cart Version 1.3.8a
    PHP Version 5.2.9
    ~f~
    with gratitude

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Show Out of Stock Products Doesn't Work

Be aware that Products currently marked as products_status 0 will not change based on this setting ... only future products when they sell out will remain in stock ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Thanks, but it doesn't seem to work with products currently set at 1 (active) either. That's what I was going to do, to set currently Active/Available products to Out Of Stock while still enabling them to appear in the shop.

Thanks!
    ~f~
    with gratitude

Plugin Contributions

Out of Stock is products_status = 0 which means "do not show in the shop" ...

Set the Quantity to 0 and the Product Status to In Stock (products_status = 1) ...

Now with <= 1 quantity you see Sold Out ...

When you mark Product Status to Out of Stock that is products_status 0 which means do not show in the Shop, regardless of quantity ...
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Oh I see. So basically it will set to "Sold Out" instead. Thanks so much for the clarification! Much appreciated :).
    ~f~
    with gratitude

Plugin Contributions

Linda,

I still can't make sense out this setting. It doesn't seem to actual control anything. I've carefully examined your explanation and performed tests, but cannot make this setting actually control anything by itself.

When editing a product (not this Admin >> Stock setting), I set it to In Stock (radio button) and Qty 0 (further down on that page), then Sold Out appears regardless of the value of this setting. When I set it to Out of Stock then the product is not publicly visible, regardless of this setting in Admin >> Stock, which is additionally strange because this setting explicitly says that it does something when the product is "out of stock."

Also, what are the words " ... when out of stock ... " supposed to actual mean in this setting? Are those words supposed to mean that the Out of Stock radio button is selected on the edit product page, or are those words supposed to mean that Products Quantity is set to zero on the edit product page?

These words are supposed to be the condition on which this setting is based and I am seeing that not only does this setting apparently control nothing, but it's not even clear what these words are referring to.

Plugin Contributions

If you set a Product to Out of Stock ... you are setting the field products_status to 0 ...

If a Product is marked as Out of Stock ... products_status = 0 ... then it does NOT show in the Catalog ...

Product Quantity products_quantity when set to 0 means the Product is Quantity 0 ...

If the Product is set to In Stock products_status = 1 and products_quantity = 0 then the Product will show in the Catalog as Sold Out ...

What are you really wanting to do?

Do you want to see the Product as Sold Out in the Catalog when the products_quantity = 0?

Or, when the products_quantity goes to 0 do you want it removed from the Catalog?
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

Or, when the products_quantity goes to 0 do you want it removed from the Catalog?
    thanks for your reply, Linda, I read another post of yours on this subject that may have cleared this up for me. In your other post, you describe the difference between existing products and future transactions. I'll offer a repeat here. I hope I get this right! :)

While fiddling with this setting with current products, nothing, at all, is going to happen. This setting (value 1) merely keeps Products Status as On (In Stock) during checkout when a product's status would otherwise turn to off (because qty, as a result of that checkout, has reached zero).

So, what it essentially does is keep the radio button 'In Stock' (as it appears in edit product) selected while checkout is occurring, instead of letting the product go to Out of Stock. By doing so, then the Sold Out image appears (if set, also in Stock settings). The alternative to the Sold Out image appearing, is to let the Add to Cart button and functionality appear, even though the product is really out of stock. What this would then do is alert the customer to the situation (on Shopping Cart page) and the customer could still purchase the product*, with the store owner then having the product on "back order," meaning that the store owner takes the customer's money and owes the product to the customer at a future date.

*Another setting would also be at play here, Allow Checkout, which would either allow this "backorder" business, or simply stop checkout.

Plugin Contributions

You can make Products where too many in the Order marks it in the Cart that it is too many and NOT ALLOW checkout ...

You can make Products where too many in the Order marks it in the Cart that it is too many but ALLOW checkout ...

You can make Products where if the Product Quantity <= 0 read Sold Out and cannot be added to the Order so that they CANNOT be ordered ...

You can make Products that when the Order is placed and the Quantity goes <= 0 that the Product is marked as products_status = 0 and the Product will disappear from the Catalog until you add more quantity and mark it as back in stock ...
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

so ... everything I said is either incorrect or meaningless ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast