Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Show Out of Stock Products Doesn't Work

I am trying to get you to spell out what should happen in detail ...

You have a Product with Quantity 10 ...

Customer tries to order 12 ...

Are they allowed to checkout?

If they are allowed to checkout ... quantity goes to -2 ...

What should happen to the Product?

Should the Product have been set to Sold Out because the Quantity went to less than or equal to 0?

Or ... Should the Product be set to -2 and the next customer be allowed to order as many as they want?

Or ... Should the Product status be set to 0 so it does not show in the store until you add more quantity and set it back to In Stock?
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

I am trying to get you to spell out what should happen in detail ...

Probably the best thing that could happen is if the titling/labeling of settings in Admin could be reworked for ZC 2.0 (or 1.4?) so that 30-50% of them are not cryptic beyond comprehension. I imagine you are not personally responsible for the current sorry state of those affairs, but I also imagine you have a good deal of ongoing influence in that area, which is cool if your influence could further improve the product.

I'm not a stupid person, not even a mild moron, yet a good 30-50% of the time when I approach a setting in Admin with which I am unfamiliar, I sit there and stare at the screen thinking, "just what in the h*ll does THAT mean?!" And/or, "what, exactly, are the consequences of one choice over another?"

Would you like 50 or 100 examples of this? It seems that the titles were written so that programmers who were intimately familiar with them would know what each means, and more importantly DOES, with little or no thought given to whether a user of Zen Cart would know (1) what each MEANS and (2) HOW it interacts with other related settings.

Yeah, I know, buy the book, right?

Plugin Contributions

No ... buying the book is a great help ... but if you could type slowly and tell me how you want your Products to work it would help ...

I am trying to present some of the many scenarios that you can have ...

I do not know what you really want ...

You need to spell it out ...

Take a Product with Quantity 10 and spell out:

What happens if someone should try to buy 12?
    1 Are they allowed?

2 Should they be told too many and have to change it to 10?

If they buy 12, should it now be Sold Out?

If they buy 12, should it now disappear from the Catalog until you add quantity and put it back in stock?

What happens if they buy all 10?

1 Should the Product be allowed to be purchased now that the quantity in 0?

2 Should it display as Sold Out?

3 Should it disappear from the Catalog until there is stock again?
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

With this thread and the other one where you mentioned the sql command for setting zero qty products back to "In Stock," so that Sold Out image will show, I now understand what to do and how to do it.

It all started with that command in Admin Stock that I thought I could use to make all the products already sold out show the Sold image. That is, I thought that command would do the trick, i.e., I would not have to edit each sold-out product to be "In Stock," but with zero qty, so the Sold image would show on product info. But then I discovered through your other thread where you make it clear that that setting in Admin could not make that global change to products already sold-out.

So now I know that I can use that sql command to flip the switch to In Stock for already sold-out, zero qty items. That, with the Show Sold Out Image setting will take care of that task. Then, I will set "Products status in Catalog when out of stock should be set to" to a value of 1, so that future sell-outs of a product will also leave the Sold Out image on the Product Info page.

It's cool ... problem solved ... thank you.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the update that you have things working now ...
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

I'm having some difficulty swimming around this forum.

Under config/Stock I have product status in catalog when out of stock set to 0.

In my live site, everything goes as I would expect - when a product hits zero it disappears off the catalog. (this is what I want to happen.)

However, on my test site, a product that is sold out still shows up in the catalog, along with a sold out sign.

Yet the config/stock settings are identical.

I checked the test site phpMyAdmin, and the zero is indeed present in that config setting.

The strangest thing - anything I've done on the live site has been first done on the test site. Perhaps I shouldn't be concerned since the live site is doing what I want - but I am concerned that I've done something wrong on the test site that I'll end up passing over.

Both sites are zc 1.3.9h; quite a few mods. www.meafordwool.com

So I guess what I'm asking - is there some other setting somewhere in the config menu that might be counteracting the Stock setting. And/or can someone direct me to the zc file that I can look at to see if I mucked something up.

Plugin Contributions

What that setting does is that when an order is made and the products_quantity falls to <= 0 the products_status is set to 0 which makes the Product be "Out of Stock" meaning not show in the Catalog ...

Changing that setting only affects Products based on future Orders ... it does not change the current setting for the products_status on Products where products_quantity <= 0 ...

You can do this manually or you could run this SQL in the Tools ... Install SQL Patches ...
    Code:
    UPDATE products SET products_status = 0 WHERE products_quantity <= 0;
    NOTE: make a backup of your database before running commands like this ...
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

Thanks. I still struggle with English language (even though it is my mother tongue!)

But I 'think' what you mean, is that setting the Stock to come off the catalog when at zero, means any stock that becomes zero after that setting has been made, so wouldn't apply to stock that was already at zero but present on the catalog before changing this config setting.

The items that showed on my test catalog with a stock level of zero were products that I had tested assorted mods with and I had actually manually edited the stock quantity to zero on the product info form.

I just replicated that with another product.

So, expressed another way, it would seem that setting the config/stock to not show the product in the catalog if zero stock remains applies only to products added after the setting is toggled AND to products that the cart changes to a zero, not stock whose quantity was manually adjusted to zero on the product page.

This is good to know as I sometimes manually adjust the product quantity after a sale in person or on the phone.

Plugin Contributions

Hi There,

I have a scenario whereby I accept a feed from a supplier which basically works like, if they are on the list they are in stock (No qty supplied) if they are not on the list they are out of stock.

I then import this list using a store manger (which allows me to check the mark as out of stock button) however it appears that all my products out of stock turn red and do not display.

How can I set these to show as sold out throught the store, irrespective of qty, I would immagine. Simply I feel I need to do this so that items display when someone finda a link to them on the www. I believe it better to show something rather than a product not found response..which I noted in my google webmaster tools as countless 404 errors....which cant be good for SEO.
    Thanks
    RR

Plugin Contributions

Hello,

I am using zencart.1.3.9 with stock by attributes 1.4.13,

When at the shopping cart page I get the message at the top saying "Products marked with Sorry, we are currently out of stock of this item are out of stock or there are not enough in stock to fill your order.
    Please change the quantity of products marked with (Sorry, we are currently out of stock of this item). Thank you"

But in the cart area that shows the items, it does NOT show which item is out of stock. It is a problem because I have multiple items selling and the customer does not know what item is out. Below are my stock
    attribute settings. Any Suggestions?

Check stock level true
    Subtract stock true Info
    Allow Checkout false Info
    Mark product out of stock Sorry, we are currently out of stock of this item Info
    Stock Re-order level 5 Info
    Show available stock level in cart when less than order true Info
    Display Images in Admin false Info
    Products status in Catalog when out of stock should be set to 0 Info
    Show Sold Out Image in place of Add to Cart 1 Info
    Product Quantity Decimals 0 Info
    Show Shopping Cart - Delete Checkboxes or Delete Button 3 Info
    Show Shopping Cart - Update Cart Button Location 3 Info
    Show New Products on empty Shopping Cart Page 1 Info
    Show Featured Products on empty Shopping Cart Page 2 Info
    Show Special Products on empty Shopping Cart Page 3 Info
    Show Upcoming Products on empty Shopping Cart Page 4 Info
    Show Notice of Combining Shopping Cart on Login

my site can be found at and if you wish to test, and the item I am out of is
    http://www.ruminaformoms.com/catalog/index.php

The Relaxed Soft Tank - $48.00

• Color - Black
    • Size - Large

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast