Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Editable Home Page Centerboxes [Support]

I finally have middleboxes working !! hurrah !!

It was a database issue - all fixed now.

Thanks to mc12345678 and balihr for your help.

cheers,
    Mike

Plugin Contributions

Middleboxes, or how I've installed it, appears to be breaking Mobile view - see image - hamburger menu does not work and page is truncated to the right - this is happening in the test folder version which has middleboxes installed - all is good in desktop but falters in Mobile. In my live site middleboxes is NOT installed and mobile renders correctly.

Name:  mobile image.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  9.2 KB

All the content on the page above the centerbox in test folder is the same as on site without centerbox, i.e. no <div> or other tag differences that could possibly affect how page resolves. It appears something in tpl_main_page or tpl_box_default_center is possibly causing Mobile to not render correctly - it is unlikely tpl_index_default as I compared it to my v155f installed file and it is the same (but then again)

I used all the merged files that balihr supplied in recent post.

I cannot think of anything else that could be doing this, i.e. nothing else has been done in the test folder version other than installing middleboxes.

It is more than likely that I have done something incorrectly however I am at a loss to figure out what that may be.

Looking for some guidance please.

cheers,
    Mike
    Last edited by shags38; 3 Feb 2021 at 03:32 PM.

Plugin Contributions

As identified in a separate thread about either this issue or similar, an html validation check of the site indicates a number of html validation issues... While some browsers may be somewhat forgiving, they can only go so far before something doesn't work.

So, as have done a number of times before, lets go back to some basics.

Partial blank screen, suggestion is to check the logs folder for any logs associated with trying to load the page.
    If no logs, then investigate the true extent of content not being provided to the browser: this is done by right clicking (on a PC) and choosing something like view source, inspect, or similar. The same can be achieved by pressing the F12 key. Then look to see where page content ends and what that is... *IF* all content appears to be there, then the problem is in what html is being provided to the browser. E.g. That there may be something that is directing the browser to stop displaying content even though information remains available.

Then of course with all of that is the question of what content is added to the page by the "middle box" being displayed. It too may introduce content that causes an issue.

As far as the base content from the module, I don't see anything in the code that would directly insert an html validation issue again, assuming the center box being displayed has appropriate html validation.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    As identified in a separate thread about either this issue or similar, an html validation check of the site indicates a number of html validation issues... While some browsers may be somewhat forgiving, they can only go so far before something doesn't work.

So, as have done a number of times before, lets go back to some basics.

Partial blank screen, suggestion is to check the logs folder for any logs associated with trying to load the page.
    If no logs, then investigate the true extent of content not being provided to the browser: this is done by right clicking (on a PC) and choosing something like view source, inspect, or similar. The same can be achieved by pressing the F12 key. Then look to see where page content ends and what that is... *IF* all content appears to be there, then the problem is in what html is being provided to the browser. E.g. That there may be something that is directing the browser to stop displaying content even though information remains available.

Then of course with all of that is the question of what content is added to the page by the "middle box" being displayed. It too may introduce content that causes an issue.

As far as the base content from the module, I don't see anything in the code that would directly insert an html validation issue again, assuming the center box being displayed has appropriate html validation.
    Hello MC - many thanks for your response - it was thoughtful and educational. I agree that it will be somewhere in bad html coding somewhere on the page and likely in the middlebox - or it could be in merging of tpl_index_default.php or tpl_main_page.php - I say that because in my live site, which resolves in mobile as it should, I replaced tpl_main_page with the stock unedited version from the v1.5.7b fileset and in tpl_index_ default, which is not in the fileset I just deleted instances on middlebox code. I could be barking up the wrong tree but at the end of the day I'm taking a break for a day or two before I continue with my investigation to get to the bottom of this - focusing on bad html

I had used validator.w3.org and come up with a few things to check out - I know I have html5 incompatible code but am still learning how to apply it with css - I'll get there but it will take some time methinks.

this is some of the errors from the test folder storefront and they are exactly the same in the live site (without the middlebox)

Code:
    Warning: The document is not mappable to XML 1.0 due to two consecutive hyphens in a comment.

At line 498, column 11

div>↩<!--EOF -- Flexible Foote

Error: End tag for body seen, but there were unclosed elements.

From line 519, column 1; to line 519, column 7

play -->↩↩</body></html

Error: Unclosed element div.

From line 473, column 1; to line 473, column 27

navSupp">↩<div class="section group"><div c

From line 472, column 1; to line 472, column 23

splay -->↩<div id="flex-navSupp">↩<div 

From line 464, column 1; to line 464, column 25

splay -->↩<div id="navSuppWrapper">↩<div 

From line 237, column 1; to line 237, column 22

meBody">↩↩<div id="mainWrapper">↩↩↩↩<!
    In respect to page source - this is what is directly below the last line of text in the middlebox (test folder)
    Code:
        </div>
      </div>
    </div>
    <br class="clearBoth" />
    <!-- EOF Middlebox Group 3 -->

</div>

</td>

</tr>
    </table>

<!--bof-navigation display -->
    <div id="navSuppWrapper
    in the live site, no middlebox
    Code:
    </div>
    <!-- eof: whats_new -->

</div>
      </div>

</div>

<!--bof-navigation display -->
    <div id="navSuppWrapper">
    from a v1.5.5f site with middlebox AND news_box_manager installed;
    Code:
    <p>In many cases the <a href="https://www.harmonyball.net.au/">harmony ball</a> is passed on from mother to daughter and becomes a treasured family heirloom and hence it is important to buy quality.</p><br /><br />

</font></font>

</div>
      </div>
    </div>
    <br class="clearBoth" />
    <!-- EOF Middlebox Group 3 -->

<div class="centerBoxWrapper" id="newsBoxManager">
      <h2 class="centerBoxHeading">NEWS <a href="https://www.harmonyball.net.au/index.php?main_page=news_archive"></a></h2>
      <div id="news-info"></div>
      <div id="news-table">
    followed by a bunch of code through to footer

in respect to this code in page source in test folder - I am not seeing it elsewhere, not in live site and not in the 155f site - may be nothing but will investigate
    </td>

</tr>
    </table>

So I also need to check out whether news_box_manager is messing up middleboxes.

Rambling on at present, very tired,.

I am taking your advice and will let you know how I get on - it is not the plug in - it is the environment.

cheers,
    Mike

Plugin Contributions

So I sorted out the mobile display issue by trail and error - the fix was NOT to use the file copy / merged file copy of includes/templates/your_template/common/tpl_main_page.php - by reinstating the original 1.5.7b file set version, i.e. unmodified, the middle box appears correctly and the mobile version also appears as it should. This worked for me, I am not suggesting it is a fix for everyone, just reporting my fix.

I have not yet tried to set middleboxes for pages other than home page and maybe the plugin file version of that template which contains code for middleboxes 8 & 9 may be required for those positions to work - at the end of the day the home page was my main requirement.

Thanks to mc12345678 and balihr for the assistance I have received.

cheers,
    Mike

Plugin Contributions

G'day MC .... just wondering if this will work on v1.5.7d .... any known issues

cheers, Mike

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by shags38 View Post
    G'day MC .... just wondering if this will work on v1.5.7d .... any known issues

cheers, Mike
    That it was working under 1.5.7b, there was no specific code change that would prevent a properly installed version from working in 1.5.7d. Hopefully the notes you left for yourself above are helpful whether you did a full rebuild or just incorporated the modifications from 1.5.7b to 1.5.7d.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435