Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Discounted items based on shipping option

Hello,

I am almost completely finished with this shopping cart project, so I'm praying someone will be able to help out!

My client sells only 1 product on her site and has both media rate and priority shipping. The client would like to setup the following shipping rate functionality:

Media Rate/Standard Shipping:
    1 Book: $2.99 (default flat rate price)
    2 Books: $3.99
    3 Books $4.99
    4 Books $5.99
    5 Books $6.99
    etc.

*each additional product added to the quantity only adds $1 (instead of $2.99 each time).

Priority Shipping
    1 Books $4.99 (default flat rate price)
    2 Books $6.99
    3 Books $8.99
    4 Books $10.99
    etc.
    *same concept only it adds $2 instead for Priority Shipping.

-

I've looked at the product price manager, but I don't see how its functionality would apply here as it's one product with two separate shipping types.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks so much.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Discounted items based on shipping option

Have you looked at table rate or per item shipping rates???

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Glamorousshoe View Post
    Have you looked at table rate or per item shipping rates???
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Table rates is in the same ball park as what I'm trying to accomplish.

It says you can setup 25:8.50;50:5.50 to have 25 items for $8.50 and $5.50 upto 50 items, so that's great...

BUT, if I need to subsequently remove a dollar for every product added, there has to be a better way than writing out each possible amount.

E.g. 1:2.99;2:3.99;3:4.99;4:5.99 etc. up into the hundreds etc.

Any ideas for that? I know you can use a % but I don't think there's a fixed % for achieving $1.00 per item shipped.

Plugin Contributions

I don't really use this module so I can't assist you with percentage. But I wonder how hard is it to set up 10 rules for shipping if you only have to do it once.

I have 300+ categories and I have a different rule for each one, it took me 1 hours to create tables for all of them. I am sure your site isn't as big as mine so don't be lazy now

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Glamorousshoe View Post
    I don't really use this module so I can't assist you with percentage. But I wonder how hard is it to set up 10 rules for shipping if you only have to do it once.

I have 300+ categories and I have a different rule for each one, it took me 1 hours to create tables for all of them. I am sure your site isn't as big as mine so don't be lazy now
    It's not really a matter of laziness but more so, a matter of professional efficiency. If my client has 10,000 potential shipping rates, you're suggesting I should type all of them?

There has to be a variable option somewhere...

Plugin Contributions

I would suggest to your client to offer Free shipping and include the price of shipping in the item price. This is easier and also he will have an incentive to offer to their customer.

If they have 10,000 shipping rates, I am sure they can afford to build a better shipping module that they can set their own rules on the fly.

Maybe someone else wants to help you with this mod.

Plugin Contributions

It's not really the number but the practicality I'm referring to in my post above.

Yes, I'd be delighted if anyone who has experience with table rates to chime in. It'd be very helpful.

Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Well, for those of you interested, I ended up having a friend write a script in Excel that spit out an initial shipping rate and an additional shipping rate all the way up to 100. It's moronic and terrible practice, but I finally got paid.

This really needs to be a bit more dynamic for a future release. If I had time to code it in PHP as a module, I'd be happy to do it.