Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Can I edit my customer's shopping cart?

When a customer add some items to his/her shopping cart, can I edit the items and total amount in my admin page? Or is there any plug-in/mod that can do this?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can I edit my customer's shopping cart?

First, if your customer chooses a product, why would you need to edit it? If they contact you asking you too, saying they made a mistake, or something, I could understand, but otherwise................??????????????????
    Teach them to shop and they will shop today;
    Teach them to Zen and they will OWN a shop tomorrow!

Plugin Contributions

There is a mod called Edit Orders in the free software add-ons. Try it on some test orders before editing a real order.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

edit order? or just use super order.
    you can edit items in the order.

Plugin Contributions

Off on a tangent perhaps, but:

I've found little value in being able to edit an order; from my perspective, once an order has been placed/confirmed, that *is* the order... editing it and sending out other invoices with the same invoice number just isn't, well, proper. The audit trail gets muddled, and the customer is liable to get confused. And it breaks up the whole checkout process.

I edit the basket contents to add custom items which are moderately hidden in the catalogue (eg installation fee or extra postage fee, both "normal" products at £1 each) and negative item quantities for when a customer returns an item. (Negative values require core file edits).

Then, all "negotiation" is performed *before* the order is actually placed.

But, and it's a big but, I use a MS Access interface to the database to do this - to edit the basket and other stuff. And even then it's not perfect, due to the way Zen Cart stores the basket contents in the session and/or database...

Sorry if this doesn't particularly help the OP, but I *do* see a need to edit the basket.

Unless I've overlooked a simple alternative?

Plugin Contributions

Interesting, but I'm curious as to when and at whose direction you're adding these extra products and at what point in the customer's shopping experience.

Plugin Contributions

... and is there hypnotism involved? I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about upselling, but I've never heard of live updating of the customer's cart by the store owner.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Say a customer knows what products he wants, and wants them installed - the fee for this is dependant on many factors, so is negotiated separately - by phone, email, whatever. I can then go into their basket and add this fee - say 2000 units at £1 each.

That's a simple example, and I realise I could achieve the same thing by a) asking the customer to find and add 2000 units of "installation" to his basket or b) logging in as the customer and adding them.

The second - and more important use - is for creating credit notes; a negative quantity of products can be entered directly into the basket (I don't allow customers to enter negative amounts, funnily enough) then I can login as the customer and go through the entire checkout process to create a credit note and add the product back into stock. The books balance.

No hypnotism is involved.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by swguy View Post
    ... and is there hypnotism involved? I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about upselling, but I've never heard of live updating of the customer's cart by the store owner.
    There are several scenarios where it is "helpful" to be able to add or otherwise change an order.

The first is the obvious - Customer "forgot" to include something and calls you in a panic - for some customers, we ask that they place a second order and we "adjust" the shipping, combine the packages, etc
    For others, well apparently blondes attract blondes as customers or as it often mentioned in our home - HOW DO THESE PEOPLE FIND YOU@!#$%@#$!@
    Since they often spend a significant amount of money and refer lots of friends, it is nice for me to be able to "modify" their order "for them"

The Second is when you are for lack of a better description, a drop shipper - one example that many small retailers may be familiar with is that of Retail Partner with a Distributor who sells via the web thru Shopatron's services and then the orders are filled by Retailers.

Yet a third is that we accept "call with your CC Info" - the logic for this is long and involved - however these calls almost invariably lead to me mentioning something they might like and them wanting to buy it as part of "the order I placed on line"

Justification: Well this morning a $15 thread order grew to almost $100 in "other stuff"

So for all who wrote mods to allow orders to be edited,

Bless you my darlings <G>

Happy Spring

Wheat

Plugin Contributions

Hi Wheat,

Are you sure you're not getting editing a cart and editing an order confused? The previous posts relate to editing a shopping cart/basket *before* it goes through the checkout.

Regards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast