Plugin Contributions

Default Installing a template

I'm beginning to feel really frustrated about this zen-cart thing. It's not very easy to use. Usually, I can find instructions online and figure things out, but not with this program, for whatever reason.

Anyway, I've decided to go with a template to avoid trying to figure so many things out. I will still want to customize the header and hopefully change some of the colors of this template. In the meantime, I need to figure out how in the world to install it into zencart.

I already downloaded the template to my computer. How do I get it into zencart?

Thank you, I really appreciate your help.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Installing a template

Templates downloaded from Free Software Add Ons http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...ex&cPath=40_53 usually come with installation instructions

Also see tutorials about templates https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?category=4

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Installing a template

Quote Originally Posted by eemiller View Post
    I'm beginning to feel really frustrated about this zen-cart thing. It's not very easy to use. Usually, I can find instructions online and figure things out, but not with this program, for whatever reason.

Anyway, I've decided to go with a template to avoid trying to figure so many things out. I will still want to customize the header and hopefully change some of the colors of this template. In the meantime, I need to figure out how in the world to install it into zencart.

I already downloaded the template to my computer. How do I get it into zencart?

Thank you, I really appreciate your help.
    To blame Zencart for your lack of expertise is a little unfair.

Even with a smattering of an understanding of php and mySQL, the program's structure is relatively straight-forward.

Your question: I already downloaded the template to my computer. How do I get it into zencart?

... sort of says it all. How you get it into zencart is actually not a zencart issue at all... it's one of the basic skills any website owner needs - in this case, FTP.

Whether you use Joomla, MAgento, Prestashop, Pinnacle, x-cart, osCommerce, Wordpress....... If you don't have basic "webmaster" skills then of course life is difficult.

Anyway...

Unzip the module on your hard drive. If there is a README fil, open it up an read it first.

Template modules (new templates) do not normally overwrite any core file (but check the readme first).

Then, in your ftp program, in both the left and right frames, navigate to the appropriate DIRECTORY LEVELS for the template AND for your ZC server-side installation.

In some cases, the builder of the new template may follow full protocols and put the template inside an includes folder. Other templates may just be inside a templates folder, or perhaps even just the template name.

Templates will have MODULE, LANGUAGE and TEMPLATE files and these will be located in their appropriate folders and sub-folders.

To install a template, it's usually a case of drilling down in the FTP left frame to the includes folder of the template in your local machine... and in the right frame (server) drilling down to the same level --- ie: where you also see the includes folder.

Then just click the FTP program right arrow to send the template to the server.

As you may (or may not) know, FTP does NOT overwrite FOLDERS... it only overwrites FILES - and as there are unlikely to be any file re-writes with a template, your FTP action should take about 20 seconds to complete.

Then in your sho admin panel, go to addmin >>> tools >>> template selection.

PS: there are many good tutorials on ftp, php, mySQl, css ...
    20 years a Zencart User