Plugin Contributions

Default Setting website maintenance necessary?

Please forgive me if I am asking a dumb question.
    I have searched the various forums, Wiki, and checked Tutorial FAQ but couldn't find the answer. According the Zencart E-Book, "You could use this time to do a stock take, do a Zen Cart version upgrade or simply to back up all your data. You can inform customers about an impending service disruption by placing your site in maintenance mode. ". However, it does not say whether I should place my site in maintenance mode whenever I am adding a new product or updated or modifying the description (content) of a product.
    Do I have to place my site in maintenance mode when doing any of these thing?
    Do I have to place my site in maintenance mode when whenever I access the administration to make alteration or modifications to website outlook (through the admin) such as adding a box or an EZ page?

Thanks in advance.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Setting website maintenance necessary?

Hi salib, the key consideration on whether to place a store under maintenance is whether your store will still continue to function properly during the time you are making the changes.

For example, if you are just changing a product's description, customers will still be able to view the product and checkout, so there is no need to put the store under maintenance. The same goes for adding a new product. Of course, I will usually make those changes when there are not many customers online. However, some sites will always have a considerable number of people at any time.

On the other hand, if you are performing an upgrade of your store (e.g. from version 1.2.7 to version 1.3.8a) then you will likely want to put the store under maintenance. That's because you want to make sure your upgrade has completed successfully by running some tests before actually allowing your customers access to it.
    Goh Koon Hoek, author of "e-Start Your Web Store with Zen Cart".
    Printed book: www.lulu.com/content/10576284
    Electronic book and Errata: www.cucumbermedia.com/store

Plugin Contributions

hello there,
    is this book 'e-Start Your Web Store with Zen Cart', available to buy as an ebook to download, please?
    Ed

Plugin Contributions

There's an ad at the top of this page.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by canopy View Post
    Hi salib, the key consideration on whether to place a store under maintenance is whether your store will still continue to function properly during the time you are making the changes.

For example, if you are just changing a product's description, customers will still be able to view the product and checkout, so there is no need to put the store under maintenance. The same goes for adding a new product. Of course, I will usually make those changes when there are not many customers online. However, some sites will always have a considerable number of people at any time.

On the other hand, if you are performing an upgrade of your store (e.g. from version 1.2.7 to version 1.3.8a) then you will likely want to put the store under maintenance. That's because you want to make sure your upgrade has completed successfully by running some tests before actually allowing your customers access to it.
    Thank you. I am relieved to know that. I feel more comfortable now and will update the content of the store and add products during the slowest hours.
    I am tracking my clients very carefully and will access the administration area only when the shop is not too busy.
    Thank you again