Plugin Contributions

Default "cross sell - just another cross sell mod"

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I'm posting here in hopes that one of the moderators will find this.
    The module titled "cross sell - just another cross sell mod" has a number of issues and (in my humble opinion) should be removed or noted by a moderator as a faulty or incomplete module until it's author gets it working correctly. I have installed many zen-cart mods as well as many joomla mods, and have never encountered one that completely disables the admin.
    This mod also requires a separate mod hosted "off site" to be installed - "the module manager", which is also faulty. Granted is is a small fault, it has a miss-named file that has to be re-named before the mod works.
    The cross sell mod has at least one missing file, incomplete and incorrect instructions, and just seemed like a lot of trouble shooting just to get it to work, let alone the usual configuration and styling. Hardly seems like a valuable contribution. Reading the forums shows that it has more than one store owner in a panic over their dead admin. (Probably those non-backer upper types.) The majority of post are people who can't get it to work at all, not the usual customizing for personal use issues.
    The author writes in his description that it is basically a few mods thrown together and has some edits. It may work on his machine, but does not seem to meet the standards of the usual community posted add ons.

Obviously just my opinion, David
    Last edited by Kim; 21 Apr 2010 at 03:43 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Bad Module

Thank you for your feedback; it will be taken under advisement.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Bad Addon

Or is it maybe the human in front of the computer that overestimates his/her ability to install modules on Zen-Cart.

Up till now i have installed this particular module more the 2 dozen times without any problems.

Just my $ 0.02
    I came, I saw, I got zenned... :)

Plugin Contributions

This community would be a lot poorer without Scott's modules and the FREE support he offers.

If I had been in your position I would have just passed on my concerns to him directly via email but then I appreciate what he provides to the community. He gets my backing any time.

Brent

Plugin Contributions

I'm not the author of the contribution in question, I'm just a moderator.

Anyone at any time is welcome to post concerns about a contribution BUT it is extremely rare that things are taken out of the contributions area. Typically this is only done if one of the Zen Cart core team says so, and they generally only say so if there is a security issue or a violation of the rules. The best way to respond to a broken mod is to post the required patches, or even pick up support yourself if it's an orphan. It's the open source way, after all.
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

I too have installed that mod on several client sites and never had a problem either. I can say with fair certainty that it works fine with at least 1.3.8 which is what I have my clients on right now.
    Jill || I Love Zen Cart Templates || 2 Dogs Design
    I Love To Help But Let's Keep It Public Please To Help Others!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: "cross sell - just another cross sell mod"

My apologies to the author of this mod. You are right when you say that I should have contacted him directly.

I do appreciate all the work that developers do, and appreciate that this is free open source software, and that these mods are supported for free. It was not my intention to bad mouth the mod or have a dig at the author. I pointed out the faults I found with the version I downloaded to validate my concerns.

I'm glad this mod is easy enough for professional developers to use. It looks like a great mod. The trouble is a large percentage of zen-cart users are small business owners trying to build sites for themselves. This mod, or at least the version I download takes a much higher skill set to install then most other zen mods. I had little to no trouble installing IH2, fast and easy checkout, ceon uri mapping, or any of the other dozen or so mods on my site.

In re-reading my original post, it does seem that I was being harsh. That was not my intent, I was in a hurry and just voicing my concerns. It was not my intention to slag the author.
    David