Plugin Contributions

Default Google Merchant Center for Dummies?

I must admit, I am one [dummy]

Is there a beginner's thread on how to gather your Zen Cart product info and submit to Google Merchant services (Googlebase)?

And where do you put in your Cart/feed the item condition (new, used, refurbished) that Google now requires?

I have had my cart up and running for over 6 weeks now. I have Google analytics, and I am getting traffic, but zero sales!

TIA
    Keith
    www.xcergy.com

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Google Merchant Center for Dummies?

You might want to try the Google Froogle Feeder. And yes, this module has it's own support thread.

p.s.

As far as sales goes.........you've GOT to have a DEDICATED SSL installed on your site if you want people to enter their valued information into your site. If I'm looking to buy something online, the first thing I do is check to make SURE they can keep MY information safe...and you can't do that....so.....it's off to another shop to buy my stuff....................know what I mean?

Hope this helps.
    Teach them to shop and they will shop today;
    Teach them to Zen and they will OWN a shop tomorrow!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Get Em Fast View Post
    you've GOT to have a DEDICATED SSL installed on your site if you want people to enter their valued information into your site. If I'm looking to buy something online, the first thing I do is check to make SURE they can keep MY information safe...and you can't do that....so.....it's off to another shop to buy my stuff....................know what I mean?

Hope this helps.
    I thought I had SSL with the Authorize.Net Payment system. What am I missing?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by xcergy View Post
    I thought I had SSL with the Authorize.Net Payment system. What am I missing?

Nope Authorize.net is just a payment gateway. You CAN get an SSL cert THROUGH them, but it actually COMES from Comodo (but they are REALLY high priced,.............. in my opinion!)

If you had SSL installed on your site, you would see "https://" instead of "http://" in the address bar and a "locked" lock (bottom right with FireFox, and right side of the address bar in IE) on your site.

Hope this helps.

Plugin Contributions

Nope Authorize.net is just a payment gateway. You CAN get an SSL cert THROUGH them, but it actually COMES from Comodo (but they are REALLY high priced,.............. in my opinion!)

If you had SSL installed on your site, you would see "https://" instead of "http://" in the address bar and a "locked" lock (bottom right with FireFox, and right side of the address bar in IE) on your site.

Hope this helps.
    Hmmmm

I'm a little confused. Are you saying that my site should be entirely HTTPS secured, or only the payment side? The load speed between HTTP and HTTPS is tremendous. ... and meaningless until checkout.

Thanks for the link to Comodo, but what buyer would know that it is 'name safe'? Average Joe would be clueless with that seal, but more 'safe' with a PayPal logo.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by xcergy View Post
    Hmmmm

I'm a little confused. Are you saying that my site should be entirely HTTPS secured, or only the payment side? The load speed between HTTP and HTTPS is tremendous. ... and meaningless until checkout.

Thanks for the link to Comodo, but what buyer would know that it is 'name safe'? Average Joe would be clueless with that seal, but more 'safe' with a PayPal logo.

No, you don't want your whole site to be https.........just the areas that need to be (zen-cart will handle that.......once it's configured to use SSL).

Maybe you DO already have SSL and just don't have ZC configured to use it?

Log into your cPanel, click on "SSL/TLS Manager", then on "certificates (CRT)". It will tell you if there are no certificates installed on the server, or show you the details of your certificate (if there IS one installed). Then you'll know FOR SURE if you have SSL, or not.

Hope this helps.

Plugin Contributions

No, you don't want your whole site to be https.........just the areas that need to be (zen-cart will handle that.......once it's configured to use SSL).

Maybe you DO already have SSL and just don't have ZC configured to use it?

Log into your cPanel, click on "SSL/TLS Manager", then on "certificates (CRT)". It will tell you if there are no certificates installed on the server, or show you the details of your certificate (if there IS one installed). Then you'll know FOR SURE if you have SSL, or not.

Hope this helps.
    I think I fixed it. This is my second cart. My other one is www.thedumbdog.com, and the SSL works on it. I don't know why I didn't have the correct SSL path on xcergy.com
    Thanks for your help.

Plugin Contributions

Anytime. Glad to see you got it sorted out.