Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Site just looks wrong - what have(n't) I done?

Brand new install using 1.3.8 onto a new Linux server. The zc_install process all worked nicely and then when I use the admin page or actual site it's just plain wrong. This is only my second site but I'm sure I've followed the instructions (and I repeated with the same result). This is a test domain (registered of course) to use before going onto the live site and I can't even get this to work!!

Please take a look at

www.cgwtest.co.uk

and tell me what I've done wrong. Set your watch before clicking the button - I bet someone will see what a dummy I've been within 10 seconds.

Please...

The server is hosted by Fasthosts. I know they're getting stick at the moment but I've been with them for years without problems. This is my first Linux hosted site as it appears this is better than Windows which actually (apart from not being able to change file permissions) is working perfectly for my other site. I would have jumped to .PHP run errors but as I said above the zc_install scripts worked just as expected.

No prizes for the quickest person to see what an ###### I've been.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Site just looks wrong - what have(n't) I done?

Looks to me at first glance that your CSS file doesn't match your template files. By that I mean looks like you have tried to install a new template and not all the files are in place, namely the stylesheet.css file.

Or is this an out of the box installtion so to speak?

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the quick response.

Brand new out of the box install. Just ran the zc_install, set permissions on the configure.php files and went to .../admin

That looks just as bad.

Plugin Contributions

The site is still set to /classic/, but none of the stylesheets is in place (/includes/templates/classic/css/stylesheet.css, /includes/templates/classic/css/stylesheet_css_buttons.css, /includes/templates/classic/css/print_stylesheet.css).

Plugin Contributions

You have no CSS at all - yoursite.co.uk/includes/templates/classic/css/stylesheet.css is where it should be - it looks like not all the files uploaded correctly to me before you ran the install.

Maybe somebody else can assist further as to why it would be, I'm guessing when you FTP'd the files something went wrong. I'd try uploading them again if it were me and reinstalling, unless someone has a more educated solution than mine
    Last edited by Twaddle; 30 Mar 2010 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Glenn's a LOT faster than me :-)

Plugin Contributions

OK, I believe you of course but using my FTP program I can see them, exactly where you indicate they should be and when I open them they look as I'd expect.

The zc_install presumably doesn't need any CSS which is why everything looked OK. Could CSS be disabled?

I've just looked at the style data using F12 from IE8 and you're spot on, there's no CSS information BUT I'm sure the files are present.

Thanks for looking.

Plugin Contributions

If this is the first time you are dealing with this server, perhaps there is some permission or setting that is disabling the stylesheets or not letting the other files link to them. You might ask your host.

Plugin Contributions

Hold on, that's strange. Looking at the folder on my local drive which contains the expanded download file I see a load of stuff from my other site. I have no idea where that came from. Anyway it means my assertion that this is a fresh upload from the 1.3.8 is plain wrong.

So scrap the above until I've repeated the full upload from a 'real' brand new 1.3.8 download.

I'll try to do better next time. That's not to say it's now going to work, just that you kind people shouldn't be wasting your time on this.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gjh42 View Post
    If this is the first time you are dealing with this server, perhaps there is some permission or setting that is disabling the stylesheets or not letting the other files link to them. You might ask your host.
    http://www.cgwtest.co.uk//includes/t...stylesheet.css

That brings up a 500 server error, I'd be expecting to be able to see the whole stylesheet there?

Plugin Contributions

I get a 404 not found, with or without the double // before includes.
    Maybe the OP is in the middle of deleting and reinstalling?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast