Plugin Contributions

Default Seeking advice migrating to new server

Ok, I've read as many posts as I can find but this migration is a slippery slope .

Currently running zc on a HostGator server in a subdirectory called cart.

Am moving zc to a new HostGator server in the root directory.

Database has been installed in the new server ok.

Here's the problem... new server is not a dot.com yet. It is using an ip address only ie (http://123.12.123.12/`mitch)

I would like to use that ip address on the config.php's to make sure the new site is configured properly before I change my dns servers. I know it's gonna be a hassle but I can't see any other way to verify all is working properly.

If I modify my config.php files with that ip address, will zc work properly or are there other files I will need to modify ?

Thanks. I aplogize if there is another post that covers this but couldn't find one specific to the ip address issue.... thx

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Seeking advice migrating to new server

Yes, if you have a dedicated server you can use an IP address instead of a domain name, but DO make sure that Google does not index your site with these types of URL.

I'd put the whole lot behind a .htpasswd password access control to be absolutely sure.

Once you have the domain name set up, and if you have the ability to create subdomains, I would create a test or dev subdomain - again behind a .htpasswd access control - and put a test version of the site there. I rarely work on completely live sites.

You'll also need to set up redirects from old to new URLs so that your traffic does not vanish while Google finds and indexes the new site.

See also: http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152330 and http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showth...=150620&page=2
    Last edited by g1smd; 15 Apr 2010 at 08:18 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Seeking advice migrating to new server

Quote Originally Posted by mrcastle View Post
    Here's the problem... new server is not a dot.com yet. It is using an ip address only ie (http://123.12.123.12/`mitch)

I would like to use that ip address on the config.php's to make sure the new site is configured properly before I change my dns servers. I know it's gonna be a hassle but I can't see any other way to verify all is working properly.

If I modify my config.php files with that ip address, will zc work properly or are there other files I will need to modify ?
    Long as you have a Dedicated IP address you will be fine. You don't need a Dedicated Server.

Not sure why you think it's a problem though? You are only changing a couple lines in the two configure files, nothing else, and Zen Cart doesn't care if it's a Domain name or IP address.