Plugin Contributions

Default How can I set up more domains (for my blog etc) in addition to my store?

Hi, I have my zencart store running, it was installed to the root. I would like to make more use of my webspace, with perhaps a blog - so I would like to have multiple domains.

However, all my domains point to my store. I tried to create another directory for my blog and point the domain there, but all my browser showed was my shop. I don't want to put the zencart in another directory, as I don't want it to appear in the urls. Will I need another webhosting account? I was kind of hoping to save money

Thanks,

zen 1.3.8.a

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Multiple domains not multiple zencart

Totally depends on what your host/package allows

If you have a cPanel run account - look there for "Addon Domains"
    If other - check with your host
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Multiple domains but just one store ?

Hi thanks Kobra, my host is 1&1, I don't know if it is cpanel, or their version of it. Their support site says you can have several websites, but each domain has to have its own home directory. So if my home directory for zencart is in the root, then is it only the root that is visible in a browser?

Apologies, my zencart was my first website, so I am learning as I go along I'll ask them again, but I was hoping someone on here has experience of trying this

Plugin Contributions

They are not fully good with ZenCart - - So not many use them here for ZenCart
    They should know how to add a domain name and be able to assist you
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

On 1&1 all your domains point by default to the root folder. But you can simply create a new folder under your root and then go into your domains area and point the any domain to that folder.

It doesn't matter that you already have your Zen Cart in the root folder as long as you don't try to use any of the Zen Cart folders for your new sites.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Hi, thanks - yes my zencart is in the root, that is all the zencart files are in www.mydomain.com. I created a new directory after the / and installed all my blog files and repointed the other domains to: www.myotherdomains.com/blog
    so in my control panel I have:

/
    zencart files
    htaccess file
    etc
    my new blog file (with wordpress)

I must be missing something important. have I created my new blog file in the wrong place?
    Wordpress installed, then instead of the blog admin page, all I got was got my zencart shop error with a page 404.

I suppose this isn't strictly a zencart problem, I just wondered that as both wordpress and zencart use php, that maybe my zencart over rides the wordpress

I thought as my shop is for arts & crafts, a blog showing how things are made would be a nice addition
    - trouble is I spent all day messing about with my website and not doing anything else yesterday

Plugin Contributions

Your post isn't entirely clear, but I suspect you are confusing web paths with filesystem paths.

The 1&1 control panel uses the term "destinations" for that part of the file path that is below the account root. Hold onto that word.

If you have created a folder "blog" immediately below your root "/" what you want is for your www.myotherdomains.com to have a destination of "blog". You can set this for each domain in the domains area of your 1&1 control panel.

Once done you would reach your Wordpress installation by simply going to www.myotherdomains.com - not need to extend the web path by adding /blog on the end.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Kuroi

all sorted!!!! it all made sense after your explanation and a cup of coffee, now I have zencart + my blog working