Plugin Contributions

Default Upgrade from patched 1.3.8a to 1.3.9?

Howdy to the knowledge base. Let me butter all of you up first by saying this is one of the best resources I've found for any software on teh entire interwebs. No BS....serious praise.

I've followed all the patch and security threads, and I think I have 1.3.8a locked up. Every patch I could read about I installed.

Security is my main concern. The current version functions very well for what I'm using it for. Changes to the way it works are nice, but not necessary. If it's a much better product for security reasons I'll probably get it done right away.

Thanks in advance,
    Dave

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgrade from patched 1.3.8a to 1.3.9?

Quote Originally Posted by NeckDeep View Post
    ....Security is my main concern. .. .
    In that case you should upgrade to 1.3.9a and take advantage of the many added security measures

Frank

Plugin Contributions

Using Zencart ver 1.3.7.1 and would like to know how to update to ver 1.3.9a which I have dl'd
    Is it a simple ftp copy files over existing ones? Then what? Does it recognize the existing DB? Will copying screw up my existing setup?
    How do I do this upgrade? All info I've read so far refers to a fresh install.
    Thanks,

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

If you follow the Upgrade documentation (included in your site files in the /docs/ folder, or online here: https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=98 ) then you just have to properly merge the PHP changes and then run the zc_install page to upgrade your database.

You DO NOT just copy all the new files overtop of your old ones.

The process is explained here: https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=98 and in the related links.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    If you follow the Upgrade documentation (included in your site files in the /docs/ folder, or online here: https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=98 ) then you just have to properly merge the PHP changes and then run the zc_install page to upgrade your database.

You DO NOT just copy all the new files overtop of your old ones.

The process is explained here: https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=98 and in the related links.
    Hey DrByte thanks for the links, but I'm afraid this process is way out of my league. I've done upgrades of other programs but none have the degree of complication this one has.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by frank18 View Post
    In that case you should upgrade to 1.3.9a and take advantage of the many added security measures

Frank
    Have you upgraded yet Frank? I'm familiar with the process, I had to switch over to Linux from Windows so I'm sure it's going to be a similar process. Install, merge database, update specific php files, etc. I know it's going to be a couple of days of after work, work.

If you take it a step at a time, you're fine...I'm just hesitating on that first step.

Quote Originally Posted by Bionic Rooster
    Using Zencart ver..(OT)..refers to a fresh install.
    Thanks,
    Ahhh....teh interwebs. RTFM and quit threadjacking. (IMO)

Plugin Contributions

I didnt' high jack nuttin dud, I'm following the thread on updating and asking questions and posting on topic.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by NeckDeep View Post
    Have you upgraded yet Frank? I'm familiar with the process, I had to switch over to Linux from Windows so I'm sure it's going to be a similar process. Install, merge database, update specific php files, etc. I know it's going to be a couple of days of after work, work.
    Yes, I did one ZC1.3.8a store yesterday. It took me about 5 hours plus a good hour to weed out some add-on bugs. It wasn't a major deal - instructions are clear and straight forward.

Frank