Hybrid View

Plugin Contributions

Default Which CAPTCHA mod is best?

Hi!

First, I'm new to Zen (migrating from CRE) and this is my first time starting a thread. Please have mercy on me if I mess up the protocol.

I want to know which CAPTCHA mod would be best for me?

All I want to do is add a bit of protection for my forms (contact us, registration, tell a friend, etc) and I'd like it to work right out of the box. And I don't want to pay $20 per month.

My site: Zen Cart 1.3.8a (haven't looked at the new patch yet)

My mods:
    • Template
    • SEO urls
    • Image Handler2
    • Backup mySQL v1.3
    • Backup MySite V1.f
    • Easy populate advance
    • Admin Category/Product Images

I'll probably install one of the lightbox mods while I wait for a Zen master to advise.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
    ~Mike

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Which CAPTCHA mod is best?

BTW, I have been this for the last two hours, thought I was going to use CAPTCHA using TTF & GD. I downloaded a copy (from zen-cart.com addon section), read thru the directions, began feeling comfortable about it... but then I decided to poke around in the forums.

If you read the forum for "CAPTCHA using TTF & GD", you will see people talking about how buggy it is and what a pain it is.

When I unzipped CAPTCHA TTF & GD, there were the following sql files:
    • install.sql
    • uninstall.sql
    • update_2_1.sql
    • update_2_2.sql
    • update_2_3.sql

The directions discussed install.sql but made no mention of what to do with the update sql files. That is what drove me back to the forum.

Not only am I new to Zen, but I am not a programmer. I am comfortable enough making minor php changes, but this confused me:

#3. Go to Admin->Tools->Install SQL Patches and install install.sql (don't use upload - use copy/paste to install sql).

How do you use "copy/paste"? And does anybody know what I'm supposed to do with all the update sql's?

I know forums can make mods sound worse than they are....

Quote Originally Posted by Feznizzle View Post
    BTW, I have been this for the last two hours, thought I was going to use CAPTCHA using TTF & GD. I downloaded a copy (from zen-cart.com addon section), read thru the directions, began feeling comfortable about it... but then I decided to poke around in the forums.

If you read the forum for "CAPTCHA using TTF & GD", you will see people talking about how buggy it is and what a pain it is.

When I unzipped CAPTCHA TTF & GD, there were the following sql files:
    • install.sql
    • uninstall.sql
    • update_2_1.sql
    • update_2_2.sql
    • update_2_3.sql

The directions discussed install.sql but made no mention of what to do with the update sql files. That is what drove me back to the forum.

Not only am I new to Zen, but I am not a programmer. I am comfortable enough making minor php changes, but this confused me:

#3. Go to Admin->Tools->Install SQL Patches and install install.sql (don't use upload - use copy/paste to install sql).

How do you use "copy/paste"? And does anybody know what I'm supposed to do with all the update sql's?

I know forums can make mods sound worse than they are....
    When you go to the Admin -> Tools -> Install SQL Patches page, you'll see two methods of applying the patch. You can either "Enter the query to be executed" on top, or "Upload file" at the bottom. Copy/Paste simple means that you open up the install.sql file in a text editor like notepad, and copy/paste the text, in its entirety, into the top box.

I don't think you need to touch the update_2_x.sql files if this is the first time you're installing.

I didn't have too many problems with this add-on. Just make sure all the files are in the right locations (especially captcha_img.php in the root).

Hope this helps.
    Owner, Randylion
    http://www.randylion.com

Plugin Contributions

Hi kjconnects,

Thank you so much for the feedback... very reassuring to hear that you didn't have any problems with the install. And thanks for the info on the update_2_x.sql files.

What is funny is that I just figured out the text editor bit by installing Lightbox! I kept trying to open it in navicat (duh!).

Anyway, I just did the copy/paste method you describe to finish my lightbox install received this error
    +++
    1146 Table 'mydata_zc3.configuration_group' doesn't exist
    in:
    [SELECT @cgi := configuration_group_id FROM configuration_group WHERE configuration_group_title = 'Zen Lightbox';]
    +++

Grrrr! Guess I'm off to the forums to figure that one out!

Thanks for your help!