Plugin Contributions

Default What about Barclays?

Hi,

Im new to Zen Cart and evaluating Zen Cart for a customers website.

They have just registered their business and opened up a Barclays merchant account.

If possible, would someone just explain simply that Zen Cart will work well with Barclays and the simple steps I need to do to get it to work.

Thanks

Gavin

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Zen Cart and Barclays?

While there is a ePDQ module for Barclays, the way Barclays works is cumbersome and problematic. (Not only for zencart, but most other shopping carts).

The original author of the module - Kuroi - eventually abandoned attempts to get Barclays to rework their process flow - and he no longer supports the module.

He actually says that use of Barclays and ePDQ should - if at all possible - be avoided.

The module is available HERE. but you should also read what is said in THIS THREAD.

Your client should rather look at SAGEPAY, and wave goodbye to Barclays.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
    Your client should rather look at SAGEPAY, and wave goodbye to Barclays.
    I use Sagepay and I totally agree with you, Barclays are at best extremely annoying and will make your customers life very difficult. Sagepay is easy, fast and they are always willing to help.

Plugin Contributions

That's the response I get from most people.

We have tried to use ePDQ on a few sites (at the exasperating insistence of the client) and have never got it to function properly.

One of the MAIN drawbacks is its total sensitivity to customers' addresses. If a customer registers with a slight alteration to their address, ePDQ will reject the transaction. This effectively cancels the order, because it will not then allow the same order to be submitted with the same order number. Zencart cannot generate a "fresh order number" unless the customer abandons that one and starts to fill the cart afresh. So even if the customer goes back and corrects their address, the transaction is doomed... it will continue to be rejected.

As I said, the problem is NOT unique to zencart. I've heard it plays havoc with many other carts.

By the way... why does your client choose such a terrible bank? Barclays service has to be the absolute worst in the world!
    Last edited by schoolboy; 24 Apr 2010 at 06:25 PM.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
    That's the response I get from most people.

We have tried to use ePDQ on a few sites (at the exasperating insistence of the client) and have never got it to function properly.

One of the MAIN drawbacks is its total sensitivity to customers' addresses. If a customer registers with a slight alteration to their address, ePDQ will reject the transaction. This effectively cancels the order, because it will not then allow the same order to be submitted with the same order number. Zencart cannot generate a "fresh order number" unless the customer abandons that one and starts to fill the cart afresh. So even if the customer goes back and corrects their address, the transaction is doomed... it will continue to be rejected.

As I said, the problem is NOT unique to zencart. I've heard it plays havoc with many other carts.

By the way... why does your client choose such a terrible bank? Barclays service has to be the absolute worst in the world!
    Thanks for the response.

Have you heard anything better with WorldPay? This is another potential option that they may use.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by theblarney View Post
    Thanks for the response.

Have you heard anything better with WorldPay? This is another potential option that they may use.
    Just as bad... (if not worse).

Sagepay... I'll say it loudly... SAGEPAY
    20 years a Zencart User