Plugin Contributions

Default Using One Image for Multiple Items

Hello All,

I am trying to make a poker accessories store. I am trying to add an image of the each of the poker chips to all the sets.

For example if I have a 300pc and 500pc set, I would like to have a picture of each set, and then a secondary picture of each type of chip in the set ($1, $5, $10, ....).

Is this possible to use Easy Populate to point to multiple images that I have uploaded in this manner?

Thanks,
    Nick

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Using One Image for Multiple Items

If I understand the question correctly, probably not (at least not using conventional methods). However, the constraint is in core Zen Cart.

If you are planning different main images for the 300 and 500 piece set, then the secondary images must also be named differently (as their naming extends that of main image name), so you wouldn't be able to use the same secondary image for two different products - though you could make a copy of each image with the adjusted name.

If you used the same image as the main image for both products, then any secondary (in Zen Cart we say "additional") images would be automatically picked up and displayed for both products.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Remember that easy Populate concerns itself with DATA only, so the name of the image stipulated in v_products_image will be logged into the database as the MAIN IMAGE associated with the product. It is purely a REFERENCE - nothing more.

If two products share identical ADDITIONAL IMAGES, then the secret is to COPY the additional images that are shared, and to use ZC additional image naming conventions to ensure that such additional images are rendered in the respective Product Info pages.

So, let's say you have a product abcde, and another vwxyz.

The MAIN IMAGES could be called abcde.jpg, and vwxyz.jpg respectively.

A THIRD IMAGE - relative to BOTH products will have to be duplicated, and one of them called abcde_01.jpg, and the other called vwxyz_01.jpg.

These ADDITIONAL IMAGES are loaded to the images folder via FTP - not Easy Populate, which as I said, concerns itself only with the LABEL (name) of the main image for any given product.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

... Kuroi beat me to it !
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Ok, So if I name the image abcde(2).jpg it will not act as a secondary image?

Plugin Contributions

Depends what your main image is called.

I wouldn't recommend using brackets in image names though. I'm not sure what servers and browsers would make of that.

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Thank You Kuroi... so would a filename with spaces such as "Poker Set - 1000pc_01.jpg" be fine?

Plugin Contributions

I wouldn't recommend spaces either, they have to be specially encodes. Replace them with hypthens, so ...

If your main image was poker-set-1000pc.jpg then poker-set-1000pc_01.jpg would be a legitimate additional image name. So would:
    poker-set-1000pc_1dollar.jpg
    poker-set-1000pc_5dollars.jpg
    poker-set-1000pc_10dollars.jpg
    etc

Plugin Contributions

The UNDERSCORE is the important issue, as well as (following Kuroi) the CHARACTERS you use to name images.

Firstly, AVOID using anything other than ALPHA-NUMERIC characters in image names (ie: a to z and 0 to 9).

Secondly, AVOID using letter spaces.

I also advocate using all lowercase characters ,which is the preferred convention for UNIX/LINUX.

Now, everything BEFORE the underscore ( _ ) is ragraded by zencart as the BASE IMAGE NAME, and everything after the underscore is then assessed as being a likely additional image reference by zencart.

Keep it simple... As you will see in my first post, my names are simple, and follow the standard naming conventions.

It is OK to give your images "product" names, as long as you follow conventions...

A product called Homemade Apple Pie could have the following - which ZC would easily determine as being related:

homemade-apple-pie.jpg (main image)
    homemade-apple-pie_01.jpg (1st additional image)
    homemade-apple-pie_02.jpg (2nd additional image)

(See my careful use of hyphens, and the underscore?)
    19 years a Zencart User