Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Arizona Taxes...humongous headaches...

Hi, everyone!

I'm brand new here...just downloaded Zen Cart, and am backing up the osCommerce version I've been trying for two weeks to configure. I'll install this as soon as I have that all backed up and zipped.

I'm sure this has been done-to-death, but as I said, I'm new, and don't even know how to search for what I need yet.

I'm in Arizona. I used to have a brick-n-mortar store, but closed it years ago, and now I want to build an online one.

I have to charge destination-based taxes in AZ. That is, I'm in Maricopa county, so sales to other people in my county get charged for Arizona + Maricopa County +their city, if it has a seperate tax.

How do I set this up??? There are 15 counties, and each one has several "program" cities. In addition, there are about a dozen "non-program" cities that collect their own taxes, and I have to charge for each of them, too. And, each county and city has a different rate, and those rates are changing all the time. If that's not enough, some cities have two or three rates depending on the address.... (and if you have a headache now just reading, I don't blame you)

I've been stressing over this with osCommerce for days. I chose it because I had become somewhat familiar with it years ago, But I can't figure out how to make it collect my customer's county information, and city information, and sort out which zone applies.

Someone said this Zen Cart can do that...and I'm desperately hoping it can. I've invested a lot of money in inventory and such already, and am in too far to just throw up my hands and back out in frustration.

So...here I am. Any help at all will be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

DragonLady

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Arizona Taxes...humongous headaches...

If I were you, I'd move to New Mexico .

That kind of crazy-quilt tax scheme may not be doable in Zencart, either, but look at this thread:

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90077

Not the same thing, but it might give you some ideas to try.

Plugin Contributions

I'm completely lost with all these zones, subzones, zone definitions, classes and rates....

Is there a way to see this as a folder tree or some such? When I put in a new county, it asks for the country. That's fine. But I can't seem to make it ask for a state or a city....

A folder tree:

Country
    Country Classes
    Country Rates
    State
    State Classes
    State Rates
    county
    County Classes
    County Rates
    city
    City Classes
    City Rates

Would be sooo much easier and help avoid getting lost in the maze so I can't figure out where I'm at or what I need.

Has anyone done such a thing?

Plugin Contributions

I'm completely lost with all these zones, subzones, zone definitions, classes and rates....
    I don't blame you. Can't imagine how long it will take you to do a sales tax return. Oh well, politicians from Arizona have been known to make bad decisions.....

Don't know if your product will allow the increased margin, but I'd consider raising the price and advertising all as "tax free" and then disclaim that statement elsewhere (in really small print) This could work pretty well with a "free shipping" combination ie; the price you see is what you pay, nothing added to it ever.

I know this is probably not helping, but what a mess.

Good Luck, and I'm going to try and follow this to see how you make out.
    Skin that 'un pilgrim, and I'll bring ya' another.
    Running 1.3.9h with a few mods here

Plugin Contributions

Mike
    GeekHost - Zen Cart Certified & PCI Compliant Hosting
    The Zen Cart Forum...Better than a monitor covered with post-it notes!

Plugin Contributions

See the New York Sales Tax thread for more info. We have eighty-some jurisdictions, and some of them cross zip code lines so we can't just use those 100% accurately.

Plugin Contributions

I live in Arizona. This is much simpler than you think.

DragonLady, you are completely misinterpreting the Arizona tax laws. You have to charge tax on any item shipped to any Arizona address, but it is based upon the tax rate charged at the point where you ship the products, not the tax rate where the product is shipped. There is only one tax rate to charge unless you have multiple shipping locations. You do not have to break that tax down by state, county and city taxes in Zen Cart. You do that when you pay the taxes to the state and city. The county tax is included with the state tax. Just simply use the tax rate for your area.

I've attended the Arizona tax classes several times and there is one issue to be aware of. Arizona requires that you charge tax on shipping fees, unless what you charge is exactly the same as your cost. If you are charging shipping fees based upon an estimated product weight, that is almost impossible to do consistently. Plus, you will receive discounts from UPS and USPS, so you do need to charge tax on shipping fees.

You should plan to attend an Arizona TPT and Use Tax class. I think it costs $15. Contact the Arizona tax office for a schedule. If you visit one of the offices, they frequently have vouchers to attend the tax class for free.

Most Arizonans are not even aware of the tax breakdowns or that different cities charge different rates. It should just be listed as a single item called Sales Tax on your orders.
    Last edited by Tech-E; 13 May 2010 at 03:53 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Tech-E View Post
    I live in Arizona. This is much simpler than you think.

DragonLady, you are completely misinterpreting the Arizona tax laws. You have to charge tax on any item shipped to any Arizona address, but it is based upon the tax rate charged at the point where you ship the products, not the tax rate where the product is shipped. There is only one tax rate to charge unless you have multiple shipping locations. You do not have to break that tax down by state, county and city taxes in Zen Cart. You do that when you pay the taxes to the state and city. The county tax is included with the state tax. Just simply use the tax rate for your area.

I've attended the Arizona tax classes several times and there is one issue to be aware of. Arizona requires that you charge tax on shipping fees, unless what you charge is exactly the same as your cost. If you are charging shipping fees based upon an estimated product weight, that is almost impossible to do consistently. Plus, you will receive discounts from UPS and USPS, so you do need to charge tax on shipping fees.

You should plan to attend an Arizona TPT and Use Tax class. I think it costs $15. Contact the Arizona tax office for a schedule. If you visit one of the offices, they frequently have vouchers to attend the tax class for free.

Most Arizonans are not even aware of the tax breakdowns or that different cities charge different rates. It should just be listed as a single item called Sales Tax on your orders.
    Quick update....I was wondering if I could charge state and county, then factor out the city taxes. Doing that would let me move forward, and start setting up my store.

I called the department of revenue back again, and this time was given information directly contradictory to what I was told before. Since I was then lost and didn't know which was which, I wrote a letter to the tax policy office and asked themt to clarify. I'll let you all know what they have to say.

I do want to attend one of those classes, I just haven't had the time and opportunity yet. I'm waaaay out in the desert, and rarely go into Pheonix for any reason. But the first time I have a good chance I will go.

Quote Originally Posted by barco57 View Post
    Okay; I'm going to wait 'till I have more information to download it, but it does look like that's mostly likely what I need. Thank-you very much.

Thanks to all of you so far for your advice and help. I was hoping to be open and ready to go by now, but I do want to do it right, even if that takes a while to set up. :)

Plugin Contributions

All that you really need to do is to attend a half-day tax class. It will answer all of your questions. I attend the class about every two years to keep updated. The classes are offered all over the state. You do not have to go to Phoenix.

As far as Zen Cart goes, as I said, you do not have to split up the taxes. You only need to use the combined tax rate for your area in Arizona. That is all you will ever see on any sales receipt anywhere in Arizona. If you split it up, you will confuse your buyers.

Although you want to call it a sales tax on your invoices and receipts, we do not technically have a sales tax in Arizona. We have a transaction privilege tax (TPT). The difference is that a sales tax is a tax on the buyer. TPT is a tax on the seller. Charging the tax is optional, but if you do not charge the buyer, you have to pay the tax yourself as the seller.

Plugin Contributions

All that you really need to do is to attend a half-day tax class. It will answer all of your questions. I attend the class about every two years to keep updated. The classes are offered all over the state. You do not have to go to Phoenix.
    I'm in a tiny town of less than 2,000 people. The nearest class will be 60+ miles away in Phoenix. I will go when I can, but right now it's more difficult (for various personal reasons) than it's worth.

As far as Zen Cart goes, as I said, you do not have to split up the taxes. You only need to use the combined tax rate for your area in Arizona. That is all you will ever see on any sales receipt anywhere in Arizona. If you split it up, you will confuse your buyers.
    (my bold)

Yes; that's what you usually see on a receipt. But it directly contradicts what I've been told on the phone. I'm still waiting for a written clarification.

Although you want to call it a sales tax on your invoices and receipts, we do not technically have a sales tax in Arizona. We have a transaction privilege tax (TPT). The difference is that a sales tax is a tax on the buyer. TPT is a tax on the seller. Charging the tax is optional, but if you do not charge the buyer, you have to pay the tax yourself as the seller.
    And that's why I believe the previous paragraph is correct. If I didn't charge an Avondale buyers sales tax, I would have to pay it; and it doesn't make sense for me to have to pay it to Avondale, as I don't have a business license there. But, that still directly contradicts what I was told on the phone.

I got a letter today I thought was my answer, but it turned out to just be a notice regarding the increases in sales taxes.

I'm still waiting....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast