Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default upgrading for dummies?

i have the link for upgrading my zen cart... but (call me stupid) im a little confused...

1. i dont know how to upload my 1.3.8 version (with all add ons etc) to my pc to compare and change 1.3.9 so if i dont do the comparision will it delete the add ons or text i put in since i installed it 2 years ago?

2. do i make a new folder in my cpanel files as "new store" and upload it there.. if so. how will my cpanel KNOW to upgrade and run the new version?

i need to most "stupid proof" explanaition if anyone can help....

please and thank you...
    Classy, Upscale, Sophisticated, Discreet
    www.ClassyDesires.com

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: upgrading for dummies?

1) Do you know how to FTP to your site?
    If so then you would download a copy of your site to your computer using FTP. An alternative is to go to your Cpanel File Manager and select all your folders and then tell it to "Compress" them - it will then make a zip file which you can download from right there.

Basically, YES upgrading is going to take out all of your mods/customizations. If you used the Zen over rides to create your template/pages/etc. then putting those same folders back in will restore them - BUT if any of those files are new in the upgrade you would need to merge them in order for them to work.

2) You would only use the "new store" folder WHILE you are doing the upgrade. Once you have it exactly how you want it (the upgrade that is) you would then replace your original with the new store files (delete them first, don't just over write) and edit the two config files to take out the "new store" name - replace it with your "Live Store" name/folder (or none if your Zen is installed in the root of your site.

Hope that's simple enuff. Trust me do it one time the RIGHT WAY and you will be proud of yourself for doing so, have a thorough knowledge of the process, and the next one will be a breeze :)
    When the world gets in my face I say Have A Nice Day.
    * I DO Think and I HAVE BEEN Zenned - therefore, I AM * I donate - do you?
    Custom Templates and Zen Services CRS Designs, Inc.

Plugin Contributions

ok... SO it sounds a little bit easier... but if its ok with you maybe i can go step by step here within the next day or two

so i hope lol

okay this is what i did... i uploaded the NEW zen cart as NEW_STORE in my public html files in my cpanel

SO... i guess i whould FIRST fihure out what im doing.. Do i copy all Files onto THIS file (things i added etc)

i guess what im not understanding is.. in the upgrading directions it says "run the new version and you should see something ask you to upgrade"

i have NO clue how this hap[pens or how you do it..

lol

also... i have no clue how to even compare my files onto Win merge..

will i lose all new my pages as well as like :terms and conditions" etc..

im at square one.. and in reality have NO clue what i am doing... and how to make sure i am getting files in correctly etc...

(im SO sorry i probably sound like a complete idiot lol) but i know close to NOTHING about this stuff..
    www.ClassyDesires.com

Plugin Contributions

btw.. i know how to ftp but how do i download a copy of my website to my pc??? its a bunch of files... do each go one by one? or is there a particular file? this is wheer im getting lost in the beginging
    www.ClassyDesires.com

Plugin Contributions

btw.. i know how to ftp but how do i download a copy of my website to my pc???
    After you log in to your site with your ftp client, just "drag" the whole folder public_html to your pc.

Good Luck

Dalton
    Skin that 'un pilgrim, and I'll bring ya' another.
    Running 1.3.9h with a few mods here

Plugin Contributions

I'm completely lost as well and would appreciate any information available.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by daltonkost View Post
    After you log in to your site with your ftp client, just "drag" the whole folder public_html to your pc.

Good Luck

Dalton
    Doing it all in "one go" can sometimes result in some files being corrupted during transfer.

I prefer doing the ftp folder-by-folder - starting with the amin folder, then the includes folder, then the images folder (which can take an age if you have a lot of products).

Then the remaining folders and files can follow - but admin and includes are the most critical folders. You have to make sure nothing gets corrupted in these folders.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Personally, I go to the hosting account's control panel, zip it up and download it as a single file (i.e. a zip archive). Much faster and have never yet seen any of the errors that can occur when the files are moved individually.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

okay.. so let me just get this straight.... if i upload the WHOLE public html file.. i then run it on WINMERGE and compare it to the "new version" correct?

from there... what do i do.. do i transfer files from my old PUBLIC HTML ONTO the NEW version and once im done then upload the NEW version as a new "public html" so it can go live?

also.. if i ftp the "public html" to my pc will it completely remove it from my comp.. if so i would ASSUME i should keep one original copy and make anoher "copy on my PC to "play with" correct?

you guys are bieng VERY helpful thanks!
    www.ClassyDesires.com

Plugin Contributions

HEY! thanks you guys (and gals)
    okay So i uploaded ALL my public_html top my PC i found the corrupted files thanks to my hosting company... they were all under images and i took them all out before the upload. i am scanning each folder with my antivirus as well before it goes back up.

I now have my OLD zen and NEW zen side by side and want to know how :
    1. whats the easierst/quickest way to make sure all customizations etc are entered into the new store correctly (not miss any)
    2. once i am DONE do i "relabel my NEW ZEN CART FILES as public_html and ftp it back to my store and allow it to over ride whats there?

lastly.... i foudn these files on my OLD site and i dont see them on the NEW site.. are they supposed to be there? i think ive always seen them there.. but with all this hack trouble i wanna make sure ; "vti bin, vti cnf, and vti log, and .htaccess"

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!
    i know im asking alot of questions.. so thanks for putting up with me~
    www.ClassyDesires.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast