Plugin Contributions

Default Displaying all products including subcategory

Hi,
    I want when you click on a category it shows all the products in the category and sub category, whilst also opening up the sub category list in the navigation so that if users want to filter through the main category they can.
    Is this possible?
    My site is http://www.artezan.com.au - I want to combine more categories and also if you look at the top category Hand dyed yarn some users don't want to have to use sub categories (they find two clicks too much work!) but others like the sub categories rather than trawling through pages of yarns they might not be looking for.
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Zan

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Displaying all products including subcategory

I've worked out that you can do it by having all the products in the top level category and then having them also linked to the lower level subcategory.
    Is this the only way or is there something to click that will display all the sub category products when clicking on the category (before I spend hours and hours reorganising all my stock, lol).

Plugin Contributions

OK not sure if the idea above works - I moved one category (jewellery) into another (bookmarks) and it displayed all the bookmarks and the link to jewellery - so thought great create a category for bookmarks - link all the bookmarks also to the sub category and that would work -but got an error
    Error: Category has Products!

While this can be done temporarily to build your Categories ... Categories hold either Products or Categories but never both!

So assuming it can't be done that way

Plugin Contributions

That's right - you can't have both products and subcategories in a category.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    That's right - you can't have both products and subcategories in a category.
    Yep I worked that out (though it was working fine with both in there, lol).
    But so my original question still stands (that was me trying to find a solution to my problem)

Is it possible to display the products in all the sub categories when you click on a top category link?

Plugin Contributions

Still not worked out the answer to this question.
    Any help please?

Plugin Contributions

There is no way to do what you want to do within the Zencart structure that I'm aware of. It would require custom coding.

I really don't think folks are reluctant to use two mouse clicks to see the products. More often, I think, they get confused about how to get to where.

In the case of your site, my inclination would be to remove the New, Featured and Specials areas from that page and expand and re-design the subcategory images so that it is more obvious that clicking on them will take the visitor where she wants to go.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks.
    Won't spend anymore time trying to do that then, lol.

Thanks for the feedback.
    No the people who have requested it really don't want to have to click on a 2nd link - the store I was previously selling on (a congo cart) listed everything only in one long list and even though I hated it (and one of the reasons I left) strangely some people loved it.
    I guess I should tell them to just click on the All products link, lol.

From survey research everyone loves the New and Specials areas (being unique products there is always lots of new items - and everyone loves a bargain) though many aren't so keen on the Featured - but from a marketing perspective (high hits and sales) they work very well so think I'll leave them there, lol.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question and feedback on my site.

Impossible to make everyone happy - I've also had people ask for the yarns to be categorised even further, guess it's finding the right middle ground. Just thought that idea might make a few people happier (though not the yarnies that love the yarn subcategory images, lol).