Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

help question Integration into existing CSS/HTML site

Hey guys, I'm sure this question (and many variations of it) has been asked many times, but I just can't seem to track down an answer that fits my issue.

I've developed a very nice site using CSS and HTML for my business. Currently, the site can be found here: http://www.mystichobbygames.com

I want to keep my layout, and integrate the store into this layout.

Thoughts, ideas, etc?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Integration into existing CSS/HTML site

you can integrate your layout into zencart pretty easy , but you can not integrate zencart into your current site .
    you can start by installing and learning Zencart . you can find many template that their structure looks lik your current template . from there on , is matter of working on CSS and adding few addon's to get the look.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ckbnelson View Post
    Hey guys, I'm sure this question (and many variations of it) has been asked many times, but I just can't seem to track down an answer that fits my issue.

I've developed a very nice site using CSS and HTML for my business. Currently, the site can be found here: http://www.mystichobbygames.com

I want to keep my layout, and integrate the store into this layout.

Thoughts, ideas, etc?
    I have been wrestling with this same issue for the past week.
    I have a client who wants a shopping cart integrated within the website. Each page must have the categories list as well as a product search function.
    At first I tried using an I-frame,but it did not look right plus Google does not index I-frame content apparently,so the I-frame flew out of the window.
    So I decided to fiddle with the Zencart templates to see if I can make it at least look like the site, since the client likes the html design and I can't change it now.
    Anyways,I am still busy trying to get the Zen template to look like the html site and I am almost there.

But, since my Zencart is in a subfolder on my server, I wanted the url of the website to point to an index page and not the Zencart folder or the storefront page.

Soooo....today I sat the whole day, trying to figure out how I am gonna get Zen integrated into the site in the manner that the client wants.

And I found a way!
    I have successfully managed to add the categories sidebox and the product search sidebox to my htm pages and it works!

What I did, is to look at the html source of my Zen cart page.
    I then copied the html code of categories box into my html site page. I then also copied the search box code into my html page.
    But, everything on the page went haywire. So I started deleting one line of html code at a time (the search box code) and lo and behold I got it to work.

So what you have to do, is to first create your shop in Zencart,define categories etc.
    Fiddle with your Zencart template until your Zencart looks like your html site.
    Then create Eazy Pages eg Home, About,store,products etc
    Link these pages to your external html pages,but link the store/products pages,to the actual zen pages.

Then in your html site, create identical navigation as the Eazy pages navigation and create links exactly to same urls as you did in Zencart.

Voila, your Zencart is now integrated to a degree.

Plugin Contributions

Until the customer loses all the stuff he put in his cart when his session expires while he's switching back and forth between Zencart and non-Zencart pages. You might want to test that.

Still always less hassle to style Zencart to look like the original site, unless your client is really unreasonable about small changes.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by enigma666666 View Post
    I have been wrestling with this same issue for the past week.
    I have a client who wants a shopping cart integrated within the website. Each page must have the categories list as well as a product search function.
    At first I tried using an I-frame,but it did not look right plus Google does not index I-frame content apparently,so the I-frame flew out of the window.
    So I decided to fiddle with the Zencart templates to see if I can make it at least look like the site, since the client likes the html design and I can't change it now.
    Anyways,I am still busy trying to get the Zen template to look like the html site and I am almost there.

But, since my Zencart is in a subfolder on my server, I wanted the url of the website to point to an index page and not the Zencart folder or the storefront page.

Soooo....today I sat the whole day, trying to figure out how I am gonna get Zen integrated into the site in the manner that the client wants.

And I found a way!
    I have successfully managed to add the categories sidebox and the product search sidebox to my htm pages and it works!

What I did, is to look at the html source of my Zen cart page.
    I then copied the html code of categories box into my html site page. I then also copied the search box code into my html page.
    But, everything on the page went haywire. So I started deleting one line of html code at a time (the search box code) and lo and behold I got it to work.

So what you have to do, is to first create your shop in Zencart,define categories etc.
    Fiddle with your Zencart template until your Zencart looks like your html site.
    Then create Eazy Pages eg Home, About,store,products etc
    Link these pages to your external html pages,but link the store/products pages,to the actual zen pages.

Then in your html site, create identical navigation as the Eazy pages navigation and create links exactly to same urls as you did in Zencart.

Voila, your Zencart is now integrated to a degree.
    Without going into detail, this approach simply will not work. The main reason is the fundamental difference between DYNAMIC content and STATIC content, and the fact that PHP performs hundreds of FUNCTIONS over-and-above its role of cobbling together a web page.

If you pursue this route, you are not only wasting a LOT of time on a pointless quest, but you are putting the functionality of your client's site at severe risk - not only from a performance point of view but also:

Security and User Data safety
    Session Tracking and Management
    Bi-directional communication with payment gateways
    Search Engine analysis and indexing of your site.

If I was your client, you would be immediately FIRED !

Do the job properly... what you will deliver will be a dismal failure, then your client will blame zencart.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
    Without going into detail, this approach simply will not work. The main reason is the fundamental difference between DYNAMIC content and STATIC content, and the fact that PHP performs hundreds of FUNCTIONS over-and-above its role of cobbling together a web page.

If you pursue this route, you are not only wasting a LOT of time on a pointless quest, but you are putting the functionality of your client's site at severe risk - not only from a performance point of view but also:

Security and User Data safety
    Session Tracking and Management
    Bi-directional communication with payment gateways
    Search Engine analysis and indexing of your site.

If I was your client, you would be immediately FIRED !

Do the job properly... what you will deliver will be a dismal failure, then your client will blame zencart.
    It is precisely because I am doing exactly as the client requested that the site will not be a dismal failure.
    And you do not have to stress,nobody is going to blame Zencart for anything.

I really do not see how integrating (on 1 or 2 html webpages)
    a categories sidebox which links to the Zencart itself and a search function which leads to Zencart search page, could result in the site being a dismal failure or a security risk.
    Its akin to having a standard html page with a standard link to Zencart in a subfolder on the server.

It is possible to integrate other shopping carts within html sites without any problems so I do not see why Zencart should be any different or why it is such a taboo to even suggest integrating Zencart elements into other platforms.

Surely it can only be to the benefit of Zencart if those who really want to integrate Zencart into whatever platform, find a way to do so.
    I know that Zencart is already very popular,but many find it difficult to customize and make it look the way that they want it to look. If Zencart has widgets for instance that could be added to existing websites, regardless of platform, it will make Zencart accessible to those who want an unique look to their sites and also to those who are not php boffins.

I also realize that php experts see it as an affront if a person does things the unorthodox way,but everything need not always be either black or white and to some people gray is a preferred color.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    Until the customer loses all the stuff he put in his cart when his session expires while he's switching back and forth between Zencart and non-Zencart pages. You might want to test that.

Still always less hassle to style Zencart to look like the original site, unless your client is really unreasonable about small changes.
    Yes,the client is very particular
    All products, searches and the catalog will be displayed on Zencart pages. I am only adding the search function and the categories link box on 1 or 2 html pages.

I don't think that the clients will be switching between pages all the time. If you think about it logically,if the clients want to view products, they will click on the "products" link or on the "categories links" which all open up Zencart which is in a subfolder. I do not think that the clients are gonna decide halfway through browsing or shopping, to go and read the "about us" html page.

Plugin Contributions

Btw, Schoolboy, I noticed one of your sites is for a SA site.
    Are you a South African expat?

Plugin Contributions

The problem is that you are trying to use Zen Cart in a manner that it isn't designed to be used, so you are going to have problems at some point.

You might want to consider this free add-on http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...products_id=79
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by afo View Post
    The problem is that you are trying to use Zen Cart in a manner that it isn't designed to be used, so you are going to have problems at some point.

You might want to consider this free add-on http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...products_id=79
    Okay, so if I am understanding this correctly, if a person links to Zencart, be it in the form of a standard link or by using eg categories box integrated into a html page or even a php page for that matter, it will automatically be a security risk and/or cause problems?
    In other words, it is not safe to use Zencart unless one builds the entire site within Zencart and Zencart only?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast