Plugin Contributions

Default Need help adding new, special, and featured products to Home page on Custom Template

Hey all... I'm not new to zen cart and I usually can figure my way around things, but I am using a template that someone else developed and I modified it quite a bit. The home page has the sidebars turned off so it's a large graphic. Looks great, however, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the product modules to display on the front page. All of my settings in the Admin panel are set to display, featured, special and new products... I'm assuming whoever created this template made an adjustment on the index page, but I can't see it.

Basically what I need to do is add the new, special, and featured modules below the large graphic (or below the text - either is fine). I've seen threads on the right code to use, and I can even find the code in the tpl_index_default page, but the products are not showing up.

The test site is here: www.PersonalizeItFREE.com.

I'm assuming whoever designed this template removed some code so the product modules would not display on the front page, but, I can't figure out how. Help, anyone?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Need help adding new, special, and featured products to Home page on Custom Templ

Looking at you page source for the home page, it's appears at first glance that a "chainsaw" has been taken to the core code. (Just why this was done is a bit of a mystery, because the side columns can be removed by making two simple mouse-clicks in the admin panel... or if you want them to be page-specific, you can "kill" them either with CSS declarations, or by making a very minor (but standard) edit to tpl_main_page.php)

Someone would need to look at a number of files to see what's been taken out / added in. It's not possible to see from just the page source.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Need help adding new, special, and featured products to Home page on Custom Templ

Ugh! I used a template that I found online and I didn't really change much to the core files, I did a lot of changes in the stylesheet and added some minor modifications (column layout, newsletter) I just happened to like the look of the template and thought I could do a lot with it for different clients...

Is there any way to tell if the home page is that tpl_main_page template? Because when I've gone into that template and looked at the code, it's almost exactly the same as the standard template, except on line 70, this code appears:

<?php if ($this_is_home_page==0) { ?> <!-- hsyong hide sidebars on home page -->

I've already done a lot of work on this visually, and I'm hoping there's some way I can get this working on the front page. (it's good to know for future reference that there's a way to turn off the side columns for the front page only.) I'm wondering if I'll need to start over with a plain zen and recreate this look (which will be a huge pain).

Plugin Contributions

ok.... whew! I figured out how to get the modules to display. I took the standard tpl_index_default from another site and loaded it onto this one and whatever was wrong in the code (which when you look side by side is hard to see) was fixed...

I guess that's what happens when you try to use someone else template... you never know what they have in there...

Plugin Contributions

I've seen "hsyong" apppear in a number of templates I've been asked to "repair" over the years.

I believe it refers to a person.

...and that person is a master at hacking code to achieve an effect, instead of using the far more simple procedures that are standard behaviours within zencart.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by HipChickDesigns View Post
    ok.... whew! I figured out how to get the modules to display. I took the standard tpl_index_default from another site and loaded it onto this one and whatever was wrong in the code (which when you look side by side is hard to see) was fixed...

I guess that's what happens when you try to use someone else template... you never know what they have in there...
    I found the same template and I'm having the same issue I want to turn off both side boxes on certain pages like checkout and others. I tried the typical

if (in_array($current_page_base,explode

But there is all this other stuff that it will not work. Do you care to share your tpl_main_page.php

Looks like I have the same template.

I'm quite new at this but learnig

Thanks