Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Newly installed Zen Cart

Hi

I've just installed Zen Cart 1.3.9c using Simple Scripts. I did read that it's better to install manually but I'm new to all this and even though I've been trying to learn things for months now I'm finding it very difficult.

So there I am with my brand new cart, trying now to follow the instructions on https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=33 in order to rename my admin folder as it says to do.

I'm trying to find admin/includes/configure.php file. Are these all one folder? .

I thought that once I had installed the cart it would show on my actual domain. To go to the cart and admin I have to add zencart (which I named as I thought it was to name the folder) to the end of my domain. Will this all change when I customised it?

Thank you

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Newly installed Zen Cart

Most auto-installers install Zencart to a subdirectory. You can use these instructions to move it:

https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=122

You'll need an FTP program like Filezilla to download the configure.php file from the admin/includes folder on your remote server to your local computer and upload it back after making your changes.

Plugin Contributions

You need to do this renaming by using FTP access to your site folders.

You can't do this via any HTML page.

Plugin Contributions

It seems that you don't understand the principle of DIRECTORY PATHS... (folders inside folders inside other folders... etc).

When you see a line that says:

admin/includes/configure.php

it means that there is a FOLDER called admin, and inside that there is a FOLDER called includes, and inside that there is a FILE called configure.php

If you are used to working on a computer, it is exactly the same principle you could be using to store your MS Word files...

You could have a FOLDER called correspondence... and inside that another one called letters_to_mum, and inside that a MS WORD file called happy_christmas_mum.doc

The reason you are having to put "zencart" after your domain URL is because you have installed zencart INSIDE a folder called zencart. (see what I say above).

If you want to have zencart operating at the DOMAIN LEVEL, then you must MOVE it UP a level.

As you are showing signs of being completely befuzzled by this principle, I'm not going to attempt to explain HOW you manually move it.

You should just delete the current installation and re-install... this time making sure NOT to designate a subfolder (viz: zencart) into which you want the installation to reside.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Actually, bearing in mind what stevesh says above, it might be that you have no option with the installer that you use, and that it is going to put the softare in a zencart folder for you anyway.

My observation about your skill level may or may not be accurate, but perhaps you should ignore the technical stuff for a few days and spend some time "experimenting" with your admin console.

Then, start doing some web management tutorials...

Do you know what FTP is?

Do you know what FTP does?

Do you have a FTP program?

Do you know how to USE FTP?

If you can't answer a confident YES to these fundamental questions, then you need to go to some WWW tutorials to learn how it works.

You will not be able to manage your site unless you have a fair grasp of certain principles, procedures and functions... None of these is too difficult... But you must learn them.

Unfortunately, the forum is not the place to provide such basic knowlede, and you will find answers to future queries more confusing than helpful.

Helpers tend to make assumptions that "webmasters" have this level of "webmaster" knowledge already.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Hi everyone

Thank you for all your replies. Each one as been helpful.

Schoolboy in answer to your questions.

FTP is File Transfer Protocol.

It's used to transfer files to and from one pc to another or web server.

I have FileZilla.

I've only used it to test it in dragging a folder from my pc to my website.

I agree with you that "most" feel people already know the basic's but I don't agree that someone like me can get more confused reading forums if those giving out the information remember what it was like to have to learn it. The way things are explained makes a lot of difference. Not all of us come from the age of growing up using pc's so it's not second nature. Doesn't mean we can't learn

I'm having to learn as I go along and it's not easy. So all I ask is that you please be gentle

Plugin Contributions

I hope you don't think that we're all putting you "on trial" here...

The point I wanted to make was that while the help and advice on the forum is excellent, it's of little use if you don't know some of the basics.

By asking you such pointed questions, I wasn't expecting you to actually provide specific anwsers, but more as a "self assessment".

I started at exactly the same point as you a few years ago... a fresh installation of zencart - and complete ignorance of what to do next. I had to learn everything too.

If we have an understanding of your current level of skill, then we can shape our answers better, enabling you to understand what to do, or where to go to find additional help.

Zencart is (fundamentally) quite easy to use... but there is a LOT of detail. It's this detail that makes it one of the most feature-rich and versatile webshop systems... but it also makes it a bit more challenging.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Hiya

It did feel a little bit like I was on trial but hey ho I'm a big girl

My pc knowledge is very limited. Up until 6/7 months ago I didn't even download my own software. So this is a huge leap for me and as I said before it's not been easy.

There are so many things I've read, and most telling you to do something different. I've recently read you can change your files in Cpanel in File Manager. Then I read on https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=107 do NOT change files in Cpanel.

I would like to download Zen Cart manually because you never know if/when the installer may change their terms & conditions etc.

As for shaping your replies, just imagine I'm a 5 year old lol

Plugin Contributions

Doing a "manual" install is not as daunting as you may think. It requires a "structured" approach, and there are good instructions in the docs folder of an unzipped copy of the software.

So, the first thins to do is to get a copy of the software. If you go to THS PAGE, you will see a bright blue DOWNLOAD button. Just click it and after a few seconds your screen will refresh to Sourceforge website AND a popup will appear indicating you have requested the download of the zip file for the software.

Download that zip file to your computer and put it in its own folder on your system.

Run it through an UNZIP program (eg: winzip) to "unpack" the software.

When unpacked, FTP the software to your server's ROOT web directory. The NAME of this location will vary, depending on how your host has set up the server. Common ROOT locations are inside a folder called public_html, httpdocs, var/www.

For instructions of what to send via FTP, open index.html in the docs folder of the unpacked software.

Before you can run an installation, you need to create a DATABASE on the server... Again, the techniques you use to do this will depend on the way your hosting environment has been set up. You create databases via your hosting account Control Panel, and as I said, the nature of the control panel will depend on the systems your host has set up.

A common admin manager for a hosting account is C-Panel, but not all hosts use C-Panel. Some have their own admin consoles.

You will have to ask your host to show you how to set up a database if this is not clear on your host admin console. Some provide tutorials for setting up a database. You will have to create a username and password for that database, AND make sure you assign "ALL PRIVILEGES" to the username.

Assuming that you have now successfully created a database, make sure you write down :

The database NAME
    The database USERNAME
    The database PASSWORD

Then, you do the INSTALLATION of the software.

The install is started by putting:

http://www.YOUR-WEBSITE.com/zc_install into your browser address bar, and hitting the [ENTER] key on your keyboard.

Then, just follow onscreen instructions.

It is important to know how to set CHMOD folder and file PERMISSIONS on a number of folders/files . Again, there are tutorials for how to do this on many places on the internet.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the instructions. I shall have a go

Couple of things though. You said " go to THS PAGE" should it have a link?

I did have 7-Zip unzip programme as the backups made via my hosting company are made in .tar.gz. but reading the forum on 7-Zip there seems to be a few problems. I have looked at WinZip but it doesn't appear to unzip those files. Any suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast