Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default CURL error installing - Screen shot explains best

Version: v1.3.9a

My site is running this version of ZenCart. It runs fine has many modules added to it.

I need to set up a new domain so I thought I would install Zencart in a seperate directory with it's own database and develop the new site there.

I know my server is configured to run Zen Cart because it is already running ZenCart.

Followed the instructions and it barfs at the prerequisite check

Sorry about the image but I cannot explain what is happening. It looks like it is trying to load zencart's web site. This is repeated a couple of times. The advise from reading here is to install anyway as I do not want to use CURL. However the install button and the recheck button do not do anything. They look like they are "clicking" but they do nothing.

I have tried twice now with different directory nams and same result.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: CURL error installing - Screen shot explains best

Quote Originally Posted by freddy View Post

Sorry about the image but I cannot explain what is happening. It looks like it is trying to load zencart's web site. This is repeated a couple of times. The advise from reading here is to install anyway as I do not want to use CURL.
    cURL is pretty much mandatory these days. Is there any specific reason why you don't wish to use it?

However the install button and the recheck button do not do anything. They look like they are "clicking" but they do nothing.
    The install probably isn't going to go ahead without cURL, and the recheck will repeatedly fail until you've fixed the issue.

I have tried twice now with different directory names and same result.
    Any ideas?
    This gives me a bit of concern because it implies that you are uncertain of where your new files are located or what URL to use to access them.

Perhaps if you can provide a simplified copy of your folder/directory structure as well as the URL's that you are using to access them I/we will be able to spot where you are going amiss.

Cheers
    Rod.

Plugin Contributions

Without cURL, you will probably be unable to link to payment gateways, so your customers will not be able to pay via credit card.

cURL is also used in other important areas (currency updating, etc).
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    cURL is pretty much mandatory these days. Is there any specific reason why you don't wish to use it?

The install probably isn't going to go ahead without cURL, and the recheck will repeatedly fail until you've fixed the issue.

This gives me a bit of concern because it implies that you are uncertain of where your new files are located or what URL to use to access them.

Perhaps if you can provide a simplified copy of your folder/directory structure as well as the URL's that you are using to access them I/we will be able to spot where you are going amiss.

Cheers
    Rod.
    Hi Rod
    Dont want to use it cause it is stopping install from running. Reading the forums the consensus seems to be install anyway and then enable curl.

The install and recheck don't fail, they just don't run.

Directory structure is easy.

\
    \public_html\ (where zencart is running from now)
    \public_html\admin
    \public_html\images
    \public_html\cgi-bin
    \public_html\NEW INSTALL THAT DON'T WORK
    \public_html\includes
    \public_html\etc.....

New install was copied into new directory. file structure as in the zip file. permissions set as per instructions. config file names changed.

I am access new install as http://www.domain.com/NEW/

I did it twice cause I was changing file permissions as the files were uploading, it takes a while, and it was possible I missed some or made a mistake. Did it twice to make sure it was done correctly.

As I have said existing install of zencart works fine so what ever is needed on the server side is obviously there and working. My existing site uses e-pay and that too works.

I can't see how this is a server issue.

Plugin Contributions

Hi Rod
    Dont want to use it cause it is stopping install from running.
    Reading the forums the consensus seems to be install anyway and then enable curl.
    I'll not comment on what the consensus says, mainly because it doesn't make much sense (to me).

Does your existing/original installation have a problem with cURL?

In spite of the 'consensus' if this were my problem I'd be taking care of the cURL problem before even considering looking into other possible problems.

The install and recheck don't fail, they just don't run.
    Possible correction. In your opinion they don't appear to run.
    You cannot say they don't run unless you've attached a debugger to the code and followed the program flow.

Directory structure is easy.
    \
    \public_html\ (where zencart is running from now)
    \public_html\admin
    \public_html\images
    \public_html\cgi-bin
    \public_html\NEW INSTALL THAT DON'T WORK
    \public_html\includes
    \public_html\etc.....

New install was copied into new directory. file structure as in the zip file. permissions set as per instructions. config file names changed.
    Why are you changing the name of the config files? As this is a new installation there shouldn't actually be any config files (other than the confuration template files (dist-configure.php). The files named configure.php are created during the installation process. Perhaps this is a possible cause of your problem?

I am access new install as http://www.domain.com/NEW/

I did it twice cause I was changing file permissions as the files were uploading,
    You shouldn't do this. It is another possible cause of failed or incomplete uploads.

it takes a while, and it was possible I missed some or made a mistake. Did it twice to make sure it was done correctly.
    When you tried it the second time did you start with a clean slate or did you just try re-uploading the files over the top of the original upload?

You should have started with a clean slate, because depending on what permissions you changed the first time you may have inadvertanlty made it impossible for the second attempt to succeed.

As I have said existing install of zencart works fine so what ever is needed on the server side is obviously there and working. My existing site uses e-pay and that too works.
    I can't see how this is a server issue.
    Do you have any explanation as to why cURL seemingly works with your existing site, but fails for the new site? Since the same server is used in both cases I can't think of anything to explain it - so once again, I think this is probably where you should be concentrating your efforts.

However, IF it is possible to install the latest zencart without cURL support then it will pay to check the other possible issues that I have mentioned. You MAY have more than one problem to deal with here.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Hello I'm having the same problem.

1st question: the extras/curltest.php in the downloaded v1/3/9c is called curltester.php. when i renamed it to curltest.php i get
    COMMUNICATIONS TEST OKAY.

i have two zencart site on my domain
    1/ www.inkies.co.uk (this is have the curl problem)
    2/ http://angel-imagery-shop.inkies.co.uk/ (this one is v1.3.8a & works fine)

how can it be a hosting problem? there is many posts on CURL but none have resloved the problem.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I can't see any evidence of what you just posted being "the same problem" as the discussion before it. This discussion is referring to odd results displaying during zc_install when CURL checks are being made. Your site is installed and running fine. How is this the same issue? Where are you actually seeing CURL errors?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Inkies View Post
    Hello I'm having the same problem.
    These are words that make me cringe.
    Can you please confirm that you also have two installations on the same server, one that produces a cURL error and the other that doesn't?

We need to ask because unless this is true, *your* problem is likely to be so much simpler to solve and this particular thread is likely to lead you astray.

1st question: the extras/curltest.php in the downloaded v1/3/9c is called curltester.php. when i renamed it to curltest.php i get
    COMMUNICATIONS TEST OKAY.
    The name of the program is irrelevant. It is what it does that is important.

i have two zencart site on my domain
    1/ www.inkies.co.uk (this is have the curl problem)
    2/ http://angel-imagery-shop.inkies.co.uk/ (this one is v1.3.8a & works fine)
    how can it be a hosting problem?
    I hate to be a pedant, but terminology can be very important. What you have just stated doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

If you "have two zencart sites on your domain" (which is akin the the OP's problem) then you will also need to provide the pathnames that you are using, as well as the URL's that you are using to access them.

However, if you have two different domains on the same server (which is what you are telling us with the two different domain names then that is a completely different kettle of fish.

there is many posts on CURL but none have resloved the problem.
    Thanks
    Probably because most people that have had problems have ended up reporting it to their hosting provider to fix, because in most cases this is the only place it can be fixed.

The curltest program, regardless of what it is called, is simply a diagnostic tool that we can use as an aid to determine whether a cURL is enabled and operational on any given server.

how can it be a hosting problem?
    In your case, as you have two distinct domains, this is very easily possible because the domains each have their own php.ini files (among many other things that segregate them).

In the case of the OP the mystery is somewhat deeper, in that both sites are in the same domain.

So, perhaps you'd like to rethink your opening "I'm having the same problem" statement and maybe even start another thread that describes *your* exact problem, rather than something that sounds similar. :-)

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Hello DrByte
    as i'm not overly confident with updating i have started installing v1.3.9c in
    http://www.inkies.co.uk/demo/zc_inst...n_page=inspect

the one you see is v1.3.9b wich i installed 2 weeks ago and was fine.
    was i right about the curltest.php file?

Plugin Contributions

Sorry to make you cringe RodG
    the 2nd cart in on a subdomain of inkies.co.uk

here is the screen shot
    http://www.inkies.co.uk/demo/test/zencart.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast