Plugin Contributions

Default Looking for addon - image strip

Hi,

I was looking for a way to display product image thumbnails in a strip for a lack of a better term. One that would allow one to view images in the strip scrolling horizontally, and a way to click or enlarge those images upon hover or click etc. I dont know if something like this is available. If not, can you recommend some other image handling implementations that I could look at. Currently I just display my images vertically left aligned down the product page, but it takes alot of room as I do use alot of product pictures. Any help on what is available would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
    Bob G

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Looking for addon - image strip

There are a number of "systems" that use jquery and javascript to display slider bars, carousels, page-turners, etc, but NONE are standard zencart.

There are posts and tutorials on the forum that describe the technique in "embedding" javascript and jquery into zencart, but as there are so many "trinkets" available, there is not a "one-size-fits-all" solution.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
    There are a number of "systems" that use jquery and javascript to display slider bars, carousels, page-turners, etc, but NONE are standard zencart.

There are posts and tutorials on the forum that describe the technique in "embedding" javascript and jquery into zencart, but as there are so many "trinkets" available, there is not a "one-size-fits-all" solution.
    Hi, thanks for the input. I looked in contributions but did not see anything. Well, I was looking for something turn-key, as I do not have the expertise to accomplish something as complicated as javascript etc.

Thanks
    Bob

Plugin Contributions

I know about as much about javascript as I do about calculating the trajecory of a rocket taking a communications satellite into synchronous earth orbit.... ZILCH.

Many of these "trinkets" come with their jquery and javascript already "bundled in", so writing these complex bits of code is thankfully done for you in many instances.

What you DO need to know, however, is WHERE in the whole "structure" of the file system, you must put these things, and what (minor) edits may be needed to certain files (usually header.php files) in order to "kick" the trinket into life, when you want it to function in your setup.

A concise explanation of how to do this is in :
    /docs/read_me_jscript.html (the docs folder is bundled with a set of zencart software).

Start by reading this information.

Also, look on the www for javascript and jquery add-ons (that can be added to any site). See what they entail, and try to fathom out how the JS drives the function. It is usually accompanied by snippets of HTML which need to be embedded into a page (or element).

If you find (on the www) a nice Jquery/JS trinket, and you don't feel you are up to the task of embedding it, post for help in Commercial Help Wanted and point to the trinket that intertests you.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

I know about as much about javascript as I do about calculating the trajecory of a rocket taking a communications satellite into synchronous earth orbit.... ZILCH.

Many of these "trinkets" come with their jquery and javascript already "bundled in", so writing these complex bits of code is thankfully done for you in many instances.

What you DO need to know, however, is WHERE in the whole "structure" of the file system, you must put these things, and what (minor) edits may be needed to certain files (usually header.php files) in order to "kick" the trinket into life, when you want it to function in your setup.

A concise explanation of how to do this is in :
    /docs/read_me_jscript.html (the docs folder is bundled with a set of zencart software).

Start by reading this information.

Also, look on the www for javascript and jquery add-ons (that can be added to any site). See what they entail, and try to fathom out how the JS drives the function. It is usually accompanied by snippets of HTML which need to be embedded into a page (or element).

If you find (on the www) a nice Jquery/JS trinket, and you don't feel you are up to the task of embedding it, post for help in Commercial Help Wanted and point to the trinket that intertests you.
    Schoolboy, I really appreciate your time and tips, but I do not have the knowledge nor the time to do this. So, I will be looking to post a request for bid soon. Doing this will require that the code be inserted between the my image in the header and the text below the image. I dont think this type of code would end up being user friendly, as I would need to still be able to update the image as well as the text through the dbadmin and still maintain the filmstrip which would lie between the 2. Not sure though, maybe some bright developer could still make it work.

Bob

Thanks
    Bob Ginn

Plugin Contributions

Four days before I added the fancy home page slider to THIS DEMO SITE, I was as lost as you are...

... so if a complete idiot like me can do it, there's no reason why anyone can't.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Four days before I added the fancy home page slider to THIS DEMO SITE, I was as lost as you are...

... so if a complete idiot like me can do it, there's no reason why anyone can't.
    Hey, an idiot huh? Well you certainly don't give yourself much credit schoolboy. That is what I want, but can these images be made smaller and can it go between my new image and the text?

Since the DB Admin shows both the image and the text, it seems a little far fetched to be able to implement this in that area.

Also, I would need to implement this for each product!!!

Would this affect the bots from reading my page, or would I get smacked down by google with this type of implementation?

By the way, you did a beautiful job on your site. I really like it alot!!!!!

Thanks

Bob G

Plugin Contributions

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by creinold View Post
    Hi, Appreciate you chiming in.

Well, not quite. You know in windows how you can view a scrolling filmstrip of thumbnail images?
    Go to a folder which has photos, then click view>>Filmstrip.
    This is what I would like to do, but with one little change. That being make the photos a little smaller, and when you hover over the enlarged photo displays.

There does not seem to be anything that implements that sort of behaivour. What is nice is it allows you to have an almost unlimited number of images without taking up alot of screen real estate.

Regards
    Bob
    Last edited by bginn; 15 Jun 2010 at 02:47 AM.

Plugin Contributions

I want to all images stored in the original database table and seperated with ",",then when list the images. It shows all the images.