Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default How can I sell a PDF file from a non-Zen Cart web page, but use Zen Cart to download?

Hi

I am very sorry about the confusing question. I am also very sorry if this has been answered before, but I cannot seem to find anything.

My wife wants to sell quilting patterns via the www. Her first quilt will be sold via a unique web address linked to that specific quilt.

What we want to happen on her web is to create our own html based web page (not using any of Zen Cart's templates, that is) for the sale. This web page will show the detail and price of the quilt. We then simply want buyers to click on some "Buy Now" button and to be directed to some payment system like PayPal or MonsterPay (which we opted for as a start).

Once payment is made and confirmed, we want the buyer to be systematically (automatically) sent a link to download the file via email or for the buyer to be automatically redirected to a web page (Download by Redirect set to True) or for the product to be automatically downloaded to the buyer's computer immediately (I think you call it streaming). Please excuse my stupid way of explaining this section! I don't know the real terms to be used.

This is where everything starts getting hazy...

I understand from Monsterpay that we need a shopping cart for the immediate download. This is why we decided on Zen Cart.

Logic seems to tell me that MonsterPay will be providing the "Buy Now" button, not Zen Cart.

If this is true, how does that button link to the PDF file to which I have added the Download Attributes to as per the tutorial found here: https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=71?

How does MonsterPay, after having processed the payment, get back to ZenCart to download the file? Is this a question for them to answer or can someone please help me?

Does Zen Cart actually create HTML code that I have to use for the "Buy Now" button? I am completely at a loss as to the next step.

The URL for the download page on my wife's web is the following: http://www.cowquiltpattern.com/patterns.htm The rectangle with the words "Yes, I'd like to buy this" is what needs to start the process of going to MonsterPay for payment processing and then on to Zen Cart for imemdiate file download via redirect (let's use this as default download method).

Can anybody please help a completely discombobulated (my biggest English word, I think ) Harry in a rather cold Bethlehem, South Africa?

Kindest possible regards

Harry

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How can I sell a PDF file from a non-Zen Cart web page, but use Zen Cart to downl

ZenCart is not designed to be used in pieces as in the method you have described...as a backend to some html/buy now page
    It is designed to list products and sell from within the cart structure to maintain security
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How can I sell a PDF file from a non-Zen Cart web page, but use Zen Cart to downl

Hi Kobra!

That's darn sad news...

Any advice / pointers on how one can do something like that without something like Zen Cart?

I understand that my last question falls outside of the ambit of what helpers are supposed to assist us with on the forum (it's like asking you what kind of off-season training I should do for cycling...), but I will greatly appreciate any pointers!

Kindest regards

Harry

Plugin Contributions

A relevant question would be why you think you need to use a page outside of Zen Cart to present your product. Is it just that you have already built it? You can translate the design and content of your current site into Zen Cart with some work; this would be easier than trying to tear apart Zen Cart to use it as a download mechanism. We will be happy to give advice on doing this.

Plugin Contributions

Well it can be done. But the product still needs to exist in Zen Cart. If so you can construct a link that will add the product straight to the Zen Cart shopping cart, and put that link on your existing page's "buy now button".

However, this is messy and although I've had clients start like this, all those that survived ended up migrating the products into Zen Cart.

This usually comes about because somebody wants to market test a product without thinking the process right the way through, gotten somebody to build a static site (or in one of our cases a flash site) and suddenly realised that they need fulfilment too, so try to bolt it on in a hurry. Better to get it right from the outset.
    Last edited by kuroi; 21 Jun 2010 at 02:51 PM.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

And if you are trying to avoid having to style Zen Cart like your HTML site, you are going to have shopping cart/checkout pages that don't match your site - not a reassuring thing for your customers. So you really need to do the basic page styling anyway.

Plugin Contributions

Hi gjh42 and kuroi!

Thanks for the input. Kuroi, I really am a total nincompoop as far as HTML coding is concerend. The site I made for my wife was done in Xara. You probably know it as a very user friendly web site designer / creater. It does almost everything itself and I need absolutely no knowledge of HTML coding. So, constructing a link and the stuff you mention is beyond me!

The same basically applies to your valued input, gjh42.

I have absolutely NO IDEA how to even start getting Zen Cart look like my wife's site - or any other way than the current standard green admin section. In fact, I do not even know how to show the product that I'd listed in the admin section as part of a working web site! I must admit that I did not read up on it, but actually thought that Zen Cart was a shopping cart gateway and that it was an add-on to a current web site.

I really appreciate your response that the community will assist me in getting my Zen Cart shopping cart actually look like (or resemble it, at least) my wife's current web site.

But that will probably involve HTML coding, not true?

How can I start? Now that I know it can be done (with some work (mildly stated!)), I am quite keen to give it a go!

Is there something I should read up on about how to create my own template?

Thanks for the additional input!

h

Plugin Contributions

Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Many of Zen Cart's features can be controlled from switches in the admin, but it's not possible to implement a design in Zen Cart without some knowledge of how web design works.

So although it's possible that you may not need to write any html at all (depending upon the design), you will need some understanding of it, and be able to style it using CSS.

A good place to start is w3schools.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

WOW! Thanks for the super-quick responses and links provided!

From what I read in the tutorials, kobra, I cannot at all figure out how simply copying a css file to a new blank folder will end up in me creating some new template looking like my wife's current web pages. How is that done?

I'll have a look at the link you provided, kuroi, and get back to you on that.

Let the play begin!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast