Plugin Contributions

Default Upgrading in root of the domain - is there an easier way?

The background to my question:

---------------------------------------------------------
    Excerpts from the upgrade instructions:

[FONT="Courier New"]"Upload the files from your modified "new version" (created in step 2) to your server, into an alternate folder, perhaps called "/store_new"."[/FONT]

...Do all your upgrade stff and make sure the store is working. Then when ready to go live.

[FONT="Courier New"]
    "To go live, put your shop into "Down for Maintenance" mode in the admin area. Be sure to add your IP address to the list of allowed addresses to get into the site for previewing.
    This can be done easiest by renaming "store_new" to "store". (You'll have to rename "store" to something else first.) "[/FONT]

That's fine except my working store in not in a sub folder off my root, but is directly in the root e.g.

www.My-Web-Site.com/index.php

not

www.My-Web-Site.com/store/index.php

----------------------------------------------------------
    My Question:

How do I do the final going live bit easily and quickly, if my store is not in a sub folder?

My site is in the root /

My new cart is in a sub folder /new-zen

When it is time to uprade is there an easier way to do it other than?

1. delete all the current site's files and folders from the server.
    2. ftp all the new working files from /new-zen to the root.

Thanks

(Yes, I asked this earlier, but since the thread was closed by admin after only 1 answer, which wasn't an answer to what I actually wanted to ask, I assumed that I had asked badly - I was v tired and frustrated when I asked)

Thanks

Paul

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgrading in root of the domain - is there an easier way?

The Zen Cart files and folders in the root will be relatively few in number, and it should be practical to move all of them to a subfolder called /backup/ or something.

Plugin Contributions

Sorry, I am maybe not making myself clear.

The entire zencart structure - folders and files, is in the root directory of my domain. So the root has about 10 files, and about 10 folders and all their sub folders and files (about 4,000 files in all).

When upgrading to a new version of Zen, I download the new version, and work on all the files, so I have an entire zencart structure to upgrade to.

Thus, right now, I need to delete the full zencart structure (about 4,000 files, then upload the new upgraded version of zencart (about another 4,000 files).

As my zencart is the entire site, and not a store attached to a 'main' site, then my site home page is the zencart index page, thus it is in the root of the domain. If I had separate site files, that linked to my ZC, then the structure could be different and the entire ZC file set could be contained in a folder such as /store, which was linked to from my 'main' site, but its not.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

It's very simple: create a new folder, and copy all the existing files/folders INTO that, and use THAT folder as your temporary new site. Make sure you also create a separate new database for the new site.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    It's very simple: create a new folder, and copy all the existing files/folders INTO that, and use THAT folder as your temporary new site. Make sure you also create a separate new database for the new site.
    That's exactly what I have done. My problem is what do I do afterwards when that temp site is now ready to take over the current live site?

How do I make that one live easily and quickly?

My root folder structure looks like:

favicon.ico
    robots.txt
    index.php
    (some other files)

/includes
    /images
    /admin
    (/ some other folders)

/new-zen (my now working temp site)

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You'll just delete the old files/folders and move your new-zen stuff up a level.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks, that is what I was doing, I was wondering if there was an easier and quicker way of doing it just, but I guess not.

It took me ages last night deleting all the old files and folders, then uploading the new ones. And after all that something broke in the process

I played around a bit but got bored, tired and frustrated, then just deleted my 'new' site again, and uploaded the old one again.

I just wondered if there was an faster & easier way that hadn't crossed my mind, that's all.

Thanks anyway

Paul

Plugin Contributions

And if you want to save the existing site files until you are sure the upgrade is working in your domain root, you really can move the ZC files/folders from the root to a new /backup/ folder. Yes, there are thousands of files, but they are (almost) all contained in a small number of root-level folders. If you can find them to delete them, you can find them to move them.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Glenn's point is a very good one.

And, most good FTP programs will allow you to drag-and-drop the files/folders, so that you don't have to re-upload them all.

Instead of deleting all the files before moving the new ones into the "live" place, you can simply "move" all the old files into the /backup/ or /old-site/ (or whatever) folder with a quick drag-and-drop, and then move the new-files into position (and fix the configure.php file path contents) and test. Then if there's a problem you can move the old stuff back in a pinch.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gjh42 View Post
    you really can move the ZC files/folders from the root to a new /backup/ folder.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Glenn's point is a very good one.

And, most good FTP programs will allow you to drag-and-drop the files/folders, so that you don't have to re-upload them all.
    Funny, I have never tried that.

I cut and paste files all the times on my PC quickly, but my lightning fast mind never thought of a similar thing on a server - Doh!

OK, that will sort of my speed problem - thanks guys.

Paul