Plugin Contributions

Default Upgrade ONLY one database table?

No need to bore you all with the details but a site I work on was running 1.38 for some time and it ended up having some issues and was on ONE host and the customer in question had someone build and entirely new site version 1.39b on a new host. The new site works great and all is humming along.

The problem is he does NOT want to import his entire old database and is wondering if there is any way to just import the customer names, the address_book table?

There must be a way to simply upgrade ONE table to conform to the new database structure... right???

I have done the import and all seems to go well, but when I go into the back office is shows ALL 630 customers but they are not visibel from within the admin area of the site...

Anyway to move? and/or their past purchase history?

Thanks in advance

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgrade ONLY one database table?

Quote Originally Posted by BKKcanuck View Post
    There must be a way to simply upgrade ONE table to conform to the new database structure... right???
    Wrong.

I won't bore you with all the details, but zencart uses mySQL, which is a *relational* database, which as its names suggests means that tables can be (and usually are) related to each other in some way. Trying to upgrade a single table without taking these relationships into consideration can/will trash the enter database.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    Wrong.

I won't bore you with all the details, but zencart uses mySQL, which is a *relational* database, which as its names suggests means that tables can be (and usually are) related to each other in some way. Trying to upgrade a single table without taking these relationships into consideration can/will trash the enter database.

Cheers
    Rod
    Thanks for the info, however amazingly lame it is to hear that. Oh well, I guess those 630 customers will have to re-enter their info.. there is no chance of having the entire old database as it was never backed up.. don't look at me I am simply the messenger.. but I will pass along to the customer for future info that backing up THE whole db is a good idea haha.. not the one table she felt mattered..

Cheers..

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by BKKcanuck View Post
    Thanks for the info, however amazingly lame it is to hear that. Oh well, I guess those 630 customers will have to re-enter their info.. there is no chance of having the entire old database as it was never backed up.. don't look at me I am simply the messenger.. but I will pass along to the customer for future info that backing up THE whole db is a good idea haha.. not the one table she felt mattered..

Cheers..
    OK, I'm confused. Assuming I told you that it is possible to import the customer data only (it will almost certainly involve more than one table though), and it IS possible, then based on what you've said above, you don't have the data to import in the first place, which makes your original question somewhat pointless.

If the customer data is still available, either in the old database, or a backup file, it can almost certainly be imported, but as I said, any relationships with any other tables must also be taken into consideration otherwise there will be problems. This is a BIG difference than saying no it can't be done and the data will need to be re-entered manually.