Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default upgrading but from stratch

ok i started the upgrade process last night but i was going to start from scratch, any recommendations on how i should transfer info from the database once i have my new site up and running
    www.gorillagear.ca = zencart v1.3.9h with 40+ mods

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: upgrading but from stratch

Although that particular path to nirvana v1.3.9 isn't covered in so many words in the docs, you still do essentially what the docs say to do with the database, in the Upgrade instructions. That is, you make a backup of your current database, and you import that into the new one, then run the installer again BUT only do the database upgrade part, not the whole install.

I'm guessing you want/need to start over with a fresh install, for any number of reasons including but not limited to: you want a completely different template, you didn't customize your old site "properly" by using the override folders, etc. I can guess this because that's why I'm doing it. Right now. ;-)

Rob

Plugin Contributions

yeah since 2005 i've been playing with to many mods and alot of those mods i don't even use any more.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
    yeah since 2005 i've been playing with to many mods and alot of those mods i don't even use any more.
    I did exactly that with my oldest store: fresh local 1.3.9d install with old database imported and upgraded, site developed locally with new template, mods etc to the point of satisfaction then transferred the lot to the live server.

The result: a new lean mean smooth 1.3.9d store with all customer and orders data intact. Returning customers only see the new "face" of the site but have no idea about what really happened.

Plugin Contributions

ok should i do a fresh install with a new database and work on it till i'm ready to go live, then at that time upgrade the old database which would have been continually running getting new orders etc.

then point the new sites configure files to the old database that has just been upgraded.

it that the way i should do tackle this upgrade?

i'm just thiking it might take me a few weeks to crack this puppy and i have to keep my site running the whole time

Plugin Contributions

OK now i'm really starting and i'm going to do a step by step so others that are just the average joe trying to run his store front like may easily follow and not have to bug anyone i always do. if anyone sees i'm doing something wrong or could be doing it a better way please post. As i'm still in the dark after reading the whole install and upgrade documents as it applies to my situation.

situation: I have a heavily modded live shop that can't afford to go offline till the new site is completely upgraded, but the full upgrade may take a while as it will consist of;

1. rebuilding the template system (new look)
    2.new mods will be added and tested
    3.all product images will be changed and done professionally
    4.new banners have to be created,

once everything is done, i have to figure out how to 301 redirect all old pages that are indexed by Google and backlinked pages, to the new SEO freindly pages at that time i will go live with the new site.

all i really want to keep intact is the following

customers, products, reviews, customer credits, orders
    Last edited by MB1; 26 Jun 2010 at 03:57 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
    ok should i do a fresh install with a new database and work on it till i'm ready to go live, then at that time upgrade the old database which would have been continually running getting new orders etc.

then point the new sites configure files to the old database that has just been upgraded.
    That sounds wrong. You leave the old database at the old site, yes. But when ready to switch, you backup (Export) the old database and Import it into the new one. Then run the installer again, but only do the database upgrade. I'm sure that's what the install and upgrade directions (and many amplifications of them here on the forum) are saying. What I'm not sure of is what effect the Import and upgrade process will have on any database changes you've made for new mods while redesigning the site.

Rob

Plugin Contributions

yeah i'm not sure if i'm doing the right thing i just wasn't sure how to start

1. i created a new database, then imported the old database to it
    2. then i uploaded the 1.3.9 verions of zencart into a new directory
    3. then i moved the 2. configure files to the new site and changed the database info on them
    4. upgraded the database
    3. picked up and installed a new template that i like the layout for, but will completly customize to suit my needs later.
    4. started installing mods onto the new site (tons of merging as most of the mods i want aren't listed as 1.3.9 compatible)
    5. i'm now in my 25th mod install and it looks like i have a dozen more to go before i can start customizing everything.

Plugin Contributions

ok im getting closer to have the site ready but now i'm curious how do i merge the old database on the live site with the new database, i just want to be able to add the new info from the new orders, and customers from the past week or so

Plugin Contributions

wow this has been a nightmare the site was working great at test.gorillagear.ca but once i changed the configure file to www.gorillagear.ca and pointed the www.gorillagear.ca to the new website site folder i 've been having problems, my log in as customer only works in if the configure files are set to test and i just deleted the test.gorillagear.ca sub domain to have my sites template disapoer and who know what else is not going to work on the site

this upgrade from sratch is pushing 100hrs now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast