Plugin Contributions

Default Best Strategy for integrating Zen Cart onto our Wordpress Blog?

Hello! I'm using Zen Cart v.1.3.8a. and Wordpress 2.9.2

I'm running a record label and need to keep the functionality of Wordpress as a CMS to upload concert footgate, photos, interviews, free bonus tracks, etc. However, we are a business and have Zen Cart installed to sell .mp3s, CDs and Vinyl LPs (along with other gear).

That in mind, I'm trying to figure out how much integration is possible out of the box for Zen Cart and Wordpress.

Does Zen Cart allow for low-level modification of its look (CSS, HTML) or am I limited to using backend design tool that merely controls the number of columns, positioning and content rather than making it fit in with the look of our existing site.

I've read about Wordpress on Zencart, but whern I looked at the final result, it looked exactly like Zen Cart to me. I'm wondering if my best strategy would be to create "Buy this album" or "add to cart" links in wordpress and link that to Zen Cart, or go for a full-scale integration.

The important thing is that I need to maintain the current look of the site.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

Tom

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Best Strategy for integrating Zen Cart onto our Wordpress Blog?

In fact, Zencart only allows for low-level (CSS, mostly) design changes. There is no backend design tool, though many options, including some that affect layout, are available in the admin area (many, many more than Wordpress).

It's hard to say without seeing the final design on your current site, but looking at what you have so far, I don't think it will be too difficult to make a Zencart installation look just like it. That way, it's easiest to put Zencart in a subdirectory and link to it in Wordpress.

I'm currently building a site the other way around - the main site is Zencart, with a Wordpress installation in /blog. It will also have a phpBB forum and a calendar, all of which will be styled to appear identical.

I've found that one way to make it easier to style Zencart to look like an existing site is to not 'fall in love' with the existing site's design to the point where you won't make the tiniest change if it makes the Zencart styling possible. A little flexibility helps a lot.

Plugin Contributions

Your strategy sounds better for me, actually. As long as I can post upcoming tour dats, videos and new messages on the homepage, I don't really need a blog, and it seems like Zen Casrt will allow me to post these sorts of "announcements."

One question though: How do I edit the CSS? Just open the file in Dreamweaver and go to town? Or does Zen cart feature some kind of web-based editor that it better to use? Thanks!

T

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasT View Post

One question though: How do I edit the CSS? Just open the file in Dreamweaver and go to town? Or does Zen cart feature some kind of web-based editor that it better to use? Thanks!

T
    No, and no.

I'd recommend putting Dreamweaver away while working with Zencart.

Most of us use a good text editor (I use Notepad, and Notepad ++ when I need line numbers) to edit Zencart files, including CSS.

If you aren't using it already, install the Firefox browser and the Web Developer plugin for Firefox. You can use those to see where in the stylesheet you change the styling of the various page elements.

Ctrl-Shift-Y will allow you to hover over a section of the page and see the class and id names for that section in the box at the top. The statements in the stylesheet that begin with # are id's and the ones that begin with dots are classes.

Ctrl-Shift-E will open the CSS editor and allow you to edit the stylesheet and see the changes in real time without changing anything permanently. A very handy tool, especially with non-standard templates.

There is a built-in HTML editor that can be used to edit define pages, EZ Pages, and product descriptions.

Plugin Contributions

Great! Sounds like I'm ready to get started, thanks a lot for the quick advice!

THT