Hybrid View

Plugin Contributions

Default Setting up override files??

Hi Guys,
    Just new here. First of all wanted to say hi to everyone. At the moment we've had an Os Commerce site built for us. But as we are wanting to take control of it ourselves we realise Zen Cart is the way to go. We purchased the eBook e-Start Your Web Store with Zen Cart as to ask a better quality of question After reading the part about setting up the override system I'm at a bit of a loss of how to do it. Could some one please explain to me like I am an 8 year old, how to do it? (I don't know whether I add in a new file or modify the existing or where to add them...) A real basic description is what I need.

Thank you in advance.

Symon

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Setting up override files??

Search the FAQ/tutorials for "overrides" and let us know which solutions you try and had problems with.

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

In the process of making zencart look (and behave) the way you want it to, you will have to CUSTOMIZE certain files.

This customization involves taking a CORE file, making a COPY of it, and putting that copy into an OVER-RIDE folder (directory), whereafter it is EDITED to effect the customizations you want.

The CORE FILE is never edited... only the COPY, that sits in the relevant over-ride folder.

(NB: not all files can have an over-ride... Admin files do not follow the override principle)

(OsCommerce works using the same basic principle).

Basically, what zencart does when it assembles a page, is to FIRST find out if an over-ride file exists.

If if finds an override file, it used THAT one instead of the CORE (original) file.

If it does not find an override file, it uses the CORE file.

The first step in getting a proper "over-ride" in place, is to create your own "custom" template.

This will involve (mostly) the following THREE main directories:

includes/languages
    includes/modules
    includes/templates

Now... think of a NAME for your template. Keep it all lower-case and a single word if possible... EG: coolshades. If you need to use more than one word, then use an underscore... cool_shades.

Now...

Go into these THREE MAIN directories AND their sub-directories, and wherever you see a folder called "classic", create a NEW folder called coolshades (or whatever name you've given to your template.)

Then... follow this tutorial:

https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=230

Plugin Contributions

Thank you guys for your replys they are much appreciated i shall jump in and give it a try and post my results
    Warmest regards
    Symon

Plugin Contributions

Hi again guys i have another question /problem regarding the over ride file question. When i go to my ftp program it comes up with three files
    Backups.
    +Images.
    +Includes.
    when i expand the Includes file i can find Languages,Modules,but Iam unable to find anything at all about Templates have i done something wrong with the install or perhaps am I in the wron part of my host site ?

your help appreciated
    Symon

Plugin Contributions

It's the admin folder that contains those three folders, so you need to go up one level to the root of your store. Then open the includes folder there and you'll see the templates directory.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for clearing that up Stevesh I shall give it all another try tomorrow
    Warm regards
    Symon