Plugin Contributions

Default Template Installation without FTP access...

I've searched the forums for this but haven't found many relevant posts. I am trying to upload a new template but my web server (dotster.com) disallows ftp write access to the 'includes' folder. Zen Cart 1.3.8a was installed thru dotster (it is one of their cart choices) so I believe the restrictions were set by dotster to that folder during the install. I have not been able to figure out how to change the access rights as they are locked.

So without being able to directly upload it to the server via ftp I've tried resorting to the Theme Manager upload. It instructs me to upload the 'files'. Since it cannot upload folders, what files do I upload and do I replace the default theme files with each one from the new template? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Template Installation without FTP access...

You cannot properly customize Zen Cart without being able to readily upload files to your site. Contact them and ask them to remove this restriction; if they can't or won't, they are likely to have other restrictions on your use of the site and are not a suitable host.

For your information, the custom template files all need to go into new folders with the template name, which will exist alongside the /classic/ folders that are already in your server installation. Never change or replace the existing files under /template_default/. Again, you need to be able to create new folders in /includes/; if you can't do this, you can't reasonably use Zen Cart on that host.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Template Installation without FTP access...

Quote Originally Posted by gjh42 View Post
    You cannot properly customize Zen Cart without being able to readily upload files to your site. Contact them and ask them to remove this restriction; if they can't or won't, they are likely to have other restrictions on your use of the site and are not a suitable host.

For your information, the custom template files all need to go into new folders with the template name, which will exist alongside the /classic/ folders that are already in your server installation. Never change or replace the existing files under /template_default/. Again, you need to be able to create new folders in /includes/; if you can't do this, you can't reasonably use Zen Cart on that host.
    Thanks for the response. I called dotster and had to basically pry teeth for the guy to agree to allow access to these folders. His solution was "well, other users aren't complaining about this, perhaps you're not supposed to have access to the folders." Any who, thanks!