Plugin Contributions

Default Can't get past 'Database Setup' page

Hi,
    A total newby to Zen Cart, but not a total novice...however I'm stuck. I downloaded Zen Cart 1.3.9d and unzipped it. I then uploaded all the files to a new Shop directory on my website. I currently have a static information site on a NetWeaver server and I wanted to install on this server, behind the scenes. When ready, I would just change my index.htm to point to the new site.
    So - I created a MySQL database (easy - just had to click on 'create MySQL database!), named it and gave it a password.
    I then started the install. It ran the checks, where (having changed permissions as per FAQs) I was presented with a glorious page of green ticks; everything was looking good (on System Inspection). Clicking on Install...to the database setup, I was then presented with a screen which only had the following on it;
    "Next we need to know some information on your database settings. Please carefully enter each setting in the appropriate box and press Save Database Settings to continue."
    There aren't any boxes or anything else. I'm at a loss to understand.
    I initially uploaded files using Explorer...and then I used FileZilla, but I just got the same amount of nothing at this place in the install.
    I've used IE v8, Opera 10, Firefox 3.6.3. All the same.
    Can anyone help? I've looked all through FAQs and searched posts and Google-d, but I haven't seen anyone with the same problem.
    I've contacted my hosting company, but as yet have received no reply. Could it just be a basic incompatibility issue? They have MySQL and php available on their Linux server, so in theory I can't see a problem. I just don't get why I see nothing at all on the database setup page.
    Cheers,
    Gavin

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can't get past 'Database Setup' page

Never heard of netweaver, but a quick look indicates a Mickey Mouse operation.

Go to a decent host and your issues will magically disappear.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

... could also be a bad FTP upload of the ZC software.

Instead of trying to FTP the whole whack at once, do it folder-by-folder.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Thanks.
    Small operation - yes. Not sure about mickey mouse, although I've been with them for a number of years and not experienced any problems....but then again, I've hardly stretched the envelope! They are slow at answering emails, though...
    I'll start off with a complete delete of uploaded files and then try again, uploading folder by folder. If that doesn't work, I'll consider another host for this site.

Plugin Contributions

Like all modern (and proper) eCommerce systems, Zencart requires some very specific server settings and configurations. Many (cheap) hosts don't enable these settings (they are generally resource-hungry) because it puts a load on the server(s). This prevents these "one-size-fits-all" hosts from over-populating their servers with websites (cheap means they have to stretch their hardware to its limits), so they don't like sites that are resource-hungry.

All the while your site is a few html pages showcasing your last holiday in Majorca, or a montage of the family pets, these sorts of hosts are fine.

However... eCommerce is serious stuff (if you intend doing it beyond the scope of enthusiastic hobbyist), and you owe a duty of care to your (potential) customers.

I always advise people: If you intend running this as a proper business, then do just that - part of running a business is making the right choices about whom you partner with, and your HOST is an extremely important partner.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Wise words indeed - and ones I will heed well. Netweaver has been fine for a fairly low-key e-commerce photography site, but this Zen Cart site is a serious extension of another, successful, 'breeze blocks and mortar' business. I have a proper Merchant account, working on internet payment processor and tomorrow I will investigate, as you suggest, 'proper' hosts.
    Thanks for your input!

Plugin Contributions

Good luck with your venture into zencart, Gavin.

Your choice (to use ZC) is a good one, as not only is the software really very good, but this forum is one of the most well-supported in this arena (Open Source e-Commerce).

If you need help, there are a LOT of people who are able to offer it on this site.

I have found the advice given here to be top-notch...
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Just to let you know I've now signed up with TerraNetwork after they very kindly answered all sorts of questions very satisfactorily. And on a Saturday afternoon as well! I now have my Internet Merchant Account, Payment Gateway and Full SSL Certified Hosting sorted. And TerraNetwork are going to install Zen Cart ready for me to play with to my heart's content. All I need to do when the site's ready to go live is repoint my DNS addresses to their servers and away we go.

Now to order a copy of the Zen Cart Bible...

Happy Bunny :-)