Plugin Contributions

Default Can you limit specific products to be sold in one country? (e.g. UK only)

I currently sell worldwide but some of my items due to weight or for health & safety cannot be sold overseas (or carried by Royal Mail on airlines) and although I have large messages on these items saying they are for UK addresses only some customers will repeatedly try to purchase these items as they often work out alot cheaper than buying them in their own country. When this happens I need to either refund the entire order or refund part payment which is not only time-consuming but costly due to payment receiving and payment refunding charges from our merchant account.

Is there a way to say products A-G are sold all over the world but product H can only be added to cart when delivery is to a UK address? If not is there any tips on how I can try to limit how many people try to buy these items? Just now there are notices in product name saying delivery to UK only addresses, I mention it on the website in many places and also in the product description yet still they buy them for overseas addresses. These items are very popular in the UK so I dont want to discontinue them and other items I sell are popular overseas so I dont want to stop shipping overseas - any ideas?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can you limit specific products to be sold in one country? (e.g. UK only)

First, you should add a new flag to your Products to indicated the limited shipping ...

This flag can be used for displaying near the add to cart buttons some sort of flag where a mouse over and/or legend shows it has limited shipping area ...

The best way to address this is on the checkout_shipping where the customer can be told that products cannot be added to cart due to limitations ...

The checkout_continue button could be controlled based on wrong products in the cart ... this lets the customer change their shipping address or go back to the cart and remove those products ...

This allows for Grandma in the US to buy Tiny Tim in the UK one of those flagged Products ...

If you were to just deny the checkout_page and immediately send back to the cart, that would not allow the address change that would make it valid for shipping ...

The same flag on the Products can be included in the shopping_cart so that they are reminded that the products have limited shipping destinations ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can you limit specific products to be sold in one country? (e.g. UK only)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    First, you should add a new flag to your Products to indicated the limited shipping ...

This flag can be used for displaying near the add to cart buttons some sort of flag where a mouse over and/or legend shows it has limited shipping area
    I had a search on the forum and my zencart manual but cant see anything on how to place these flags near this button. I can add attributes no problem and have them on many products, just dont know how to get them to show as a flag near the add to cart button. If these flags are different from the attribute flags then please let me know where these are as the attribute ones are the only ones i've heard of or used.

I dont know is zencart has a wishlist for future upgrades but I have searched the forum and have seen many people with a similar problem to mine (limiting some products to one country only or for one product to go via ground shipping only for safety reasons all based on shipping/delivery address) so it may be an idea to add this to the wishlist if there is one (if I can add it please let me know where wishlist is or how to do it). Thanks

Plugin Contributions

What I meant by a flag is to actually add a new field to the products table to control this ...

That would require customizing the database table products and customizing the Admin to include this field for adding/editing and to then utilize this field in the Catalog ...

If you have a lot of products like this, then adding the new field is the method to use ...

If you only have a handful of Products that need this, then you could just customize the code to validate the shopping cart against a list of products_id and verify that the shipping address is allowed to have them ...

About how many Products are there like this?

Do they all belong to the same master_categories_id and do all Products using that master_categories_id have this limitation on shipping?
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Hi, there are four items (with possibly two new ones being added soon) I need to do this on as they cannot be shipped by Airmail which is our only overseas shipping method available. They are all in the same category but all other items in that category are fine to send Airmail as normal. I have around 1000 items on the website just now but only these four (soon to be six) are limited to UK only.

Plugin Contributions

What shipping module are you using for the Air Mail?

What should happen if you have 12 Products in the cart and 1 is one of these cannot ship products?

Based on the few Products that need this, I would suggest controlling the shipping module itself ...

You could customize it to check for these products and turn off the Air Mail when 1 or more are in the cart and display a reason to the customer as to why ... then the customer could go remove it from their cart ...

It would also be useful to to mark these products on the Product info page and the shopping cart with a limited shipping note ...

You don't really want to prevent adding to the cart or getting to the checkout based on customer address as you will have the situation where the customer address is not valid for the shipping but the customer is planning to send it somewhere else where shipping is allowed ...

By controlling the shipping module itself, it will turn on/off based on their selected shipping address in the checkout ...
    Linda McGrath