Plugin Contributions

Default Contact Form "From" field on Contact Us page

When a customer uses the form on the "Contact Us" page, they enter their email address. The email we get has:

From: [email protected] (this was entered in the admin settings)
    Reply-to: [email protected] (customer enters email address on form)

I would like for both the from and reply-to fields to be filled in with the customer's email address. I did some google searching and on the forum but I didn't find anything. Maybe I am searching on the wrong terms?

Any help would be great. Maybe I have overlooked something in the admin that I can set... otherwise I may have posted in the wrong section.

I have an unmodified 1.3.9 install.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Contact Form "From" field on Contact Us page

It is specifically designed to work that way because otherwise the messages are often treated as spam by the mailservers.
    There are no plans to change it.
    Clicking on the Reply button properly fills in the customer's address as the recipient, making replying convenient.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    It is specifically designed to work that way because otherwise the messages are often treated as spam by the mailservers.
    Clicking on the Reply button properly fills in the customer's address as the recipient, making replying convenient.
    Thanks for the reply. I understand the reasons it is set up this way, it makes sense. I am not asking you to change the software for everybody :)

The problem I have is that if I am using gmail to answer the email address that the contact form sends to, and all the emails come from the same address [email protected] they are all put into one conversation and it is hard to keep track of the different interactions.

Could you perhaps point me in the direction of how I would modify the from field to fill in from the same input as the reply-to field in ZenCart's contact form?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Go to Admin->Configuration->Email Options and change "Emails must send from own domain" to false.
    That may or may not break delivery of emails to customers due to the risks of appearing like spam, and you may not know if it's broken.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the advice. We will see how it goes and change it back if necessary.

Plugin Contributions

Any word on how this worked out for you? I'm having the same issue with gmail.

Plugin Contributions

It fixed my gmail-related problems for me, at least.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Hello Dr. Byte,

I know the chance of a response on this is very slim, but here goes.

I am using 1.54.
    Hosted by inmotionhosting.
    email forwarded to my yahoo email account.

When a customer uses the contact us email this is what I get in my yahoo email.

TO: [email protected]

The customers legit email address is in the text of the email.

If I hit reply, the email that I am replying to is mystore email.

How can I fix this so the from email is populated with the customers email address.

Plugin Contributions

Sorry, you're tagging on to a very old thread.

Also, it is confusing when a problem is discussed in more than one area on the forum.

Be assured that the Dr looks at threads on this forum and will answer if the need arises.

Generally, when an answer is not immediately forthcoming, there needs to be more information.

Please limit this discussion to https://www.zen-cart.com/showthread....e-not-customer

THANX