Plugin Contributions

help question Customizing Code on Checkout

I just installed the newest version of ZenCart (Linux) through the applications offered from GoDaddy. I created a website for a client, and they are requesting something I'm not even sure is possible through ZenCart. GoDaddy doesn't support ZenCart, so here I am.

The website I created will have a section where the owner creates customizable video ring tones. He is a Hollywood look-alike, and wants to offer these custom video ring tones from his website (as in a shopping cart). He only wants to use PayPal for transactions.

This is what he wants:
    1. user selects a video ring tone to purchase
    2. proceeds to checkout
    3. pays for ring tone via PayPal
    4. this ring tone gets sent to their cell phone (or the cell number they enter - as if sending it as a gift). Somehow, the website owner was told ZenCart would allow for customizing code in order for this to happen. Personally, I don't see how, nor do I really see the need to go this route. Essentially, the client wants me to re-create something similar to http://www.vringo.com/.

Like I said, I think this is overkill (if even possible). We aren't talking about a large assortment of merchandise being offered here - just ring tones.

I need some advise (or hopefully some verification this isn't possible) regarding step #4.

Thanks...

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Customizing Code on Checkout

Hi,

Zen Cart has built-in support for files to be downloaded after checkout so you could allow people to download the ring tone after purchase.

If you wanted to automatically send the ring tone to the customer's phone then that would require custom coding. Zen Cart allows the checkout (or indeed any part) to be customized as much as you like. It would be up to you to do the custom coding or pay someone else to do it though.

Regards,
    Christian.

Plugin Contributions

Since this client really has limited merchandise for purchase, wouldn't it be so much simpler to have a direct link to PayPal per item and skip ZenCart completely?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Shandy Elliott View Post
    Since this client really has limited merchandise for purchase, wouldn't it be so much simpler to have a direct link to PayPal per item and skip ZenCart completely?
    Using PayPal payment buttons would be simpler but whether or not it would provide what your client needs is another matter.

It all depends on how your client sees his business growing in the future. Zen Cart has the capability to grow with the business and you can keep utilising more of its features as necessary. PayPal payment buttons are simpler but you'll always be limited as to what you can do with them.

If you do decide to go with Zen Cart I would stay away from GoDaddy though. Their servers aren't really set up to cope with ecommerce sites.

Regards,
    Christian.