Plugin Contributions

Default Desperately need help with zen cart!

Hi,

I have the last version of zen cart - to my knowledge - there is an upgrade button on the top of my admin profile but I have not done that yet because I am having a nightmare of a time understanding this all. I mean, I'm pretty smart and Zen Cart says its so user friendly and I am finding that it is absolutely awful, please help!

First, is there a way to just create "add to cart" buttons that I can put on MY website, not having a while zen cart store. I really do not want a zen cart store. I want my products on my website with my template and then just have the buttons. For example, paypal lets you create these types of buttons, you plug in the product info and they generate the HTML for you and then you insert it into the website. This is basically what I am looking for. I want to be able to offer my customer discount codes which is the only reason I am even using a third party shopping cart. Is this possible? If so, I really need a step by step on what to do, how to do, what to dowload, how to upload, ect.

If not, I would like to upload my own logo in place of the zen cart banner. I found the "instructions" on the zen cart support but they make no sense to me. I cannot find the files they are talking about. I have uploaded my logo to the admin banner section on zen cart, and I "turned off" the other banners and turned mine on but it still is showing the zen cart banner. I have turned off the language, search, more information, currencies, and whos online side pannels and those are still showing too. I dont know what I am doing wrong, but I am beyond frustrated at this point. If I cannot have the buttons for my own website and I have to direct people to this external page, all I want is my products listed and my logo at the top. Preferably in my own colors as well, but I'll sacrifice what I can for now. I just need to get this up and running like days ago.

I am not interested in hiring a web developer or anything like that. I just would like some basic instructions on how to do the things I want to do. Someone please help!! :-(

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Desperately need help with zen cart!

First, is there a way to just create "add to cart" buttons that I can put on MY website, not having a while zen cart store. I really do not want a zen cart store.
    No that is not how ZenCart is designed and can not be used in pieces
    For example, paypal lets you create these types of buttons, you plug in the product info and they generate the HTML for you and then you insert it into the website. This is basically what I am looking for.
    Then that is maybe where you should be looking
    If not, I would like to upload my own logo in place of the zen cart banner
    A logo image is different than a banner
    For an actual logo
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=125
    I am not interested in hiring a web developer or anything like that. I just would like some basic instructions on how to do the things I want to do.
    Take some time to read the tutorials/FAQ's in the link above right as most often asked issues have a article on how
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

PayPal doesn't allow you to use discount codes either and I have not found any forums explaining how to make them accept the ones from third party shopping carts once integrated.

I have read the tuturial numerous times, it makes perfect sense to me, the problem is that I do not know where to find that folder. That is what is frustrating me. I have found nothing like that in the admin pannel, I downloaded and set up an FTP server yet under the zen cart options there appears to be none of those files, and I have gone through phpadmin and not found those files. This is where my frustration is, If i knew how to access those files, my life would be drastically easier with this. Then everything I have read in the forums would make a whole lot more sense. So, how do I access these files???

Plugin Contributions

Where is your cart

A link to your web site/cart
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

You won't find the folder structure in your admin panel.

I've found the easiest way to work with Zen Cart is to have it unzipped on my local drive (my computer). I don't run Zen Cart from there (although that's possible), but I can see the folder/file structure and do all my edits locally. I can then upload (FTP) my changes to my websites.

To work with php files, you'll need a good text editor like Notepad++ or Crimson Editor (both free on the net) and an FTP client like Filezilla. There are other free FTP clients around as well.

Zen Cart isn't as difficult as you currently think, but there is a learning curve. Take your time and read the tutorials. Having a copy unzipped locally will give you a better understanding.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

kobra- I sent you a private message with my cart url

afo- now that is useful information! If i cannot get this figured out, I will definitely give that a try. thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Thank you both for your help, but nevermind on all of this. I am going to use Design Cart, it offers what I want and is far less work for someone who is not tech savvy like me.

Plugin Contributions

Not familiar with that product, but if you think it's a better fit, go ahead. Zen Cart will still be here if you change your mind.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey